Hd5850 OC Doesn't Make Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I'm sure I'm just ignorant to something here, but with MSI Afterburner I can oc my HIS5850 to 850/1200 (5870 stock) and it runs stable. I can play the Crysis 2 demo at max settings, I even ran a 3DMark and it noted a significant improvement in performance. This overclock makes the difference between playable and nonplayable framerates in Crysis and Crysis 2 at max settings, even BFBC2 runs smoother at 1920x1020.

The problem comes with videos. If I try to watch a youtube video with those settings, the screen flickers as the drivers crash and reset, crash and reset. Unless I manage to close the window (alt+f4) it usually ends with a bluescreen. If I turn the clocks down to stock, there are no issues, in fact that CCC clock controls only allow a 50mhz OC, and that doesn't cause any issues. Its only above those settings in MSI afterburner that I get trouble, and its only on Youtube, but I have no trouble with gaming. What gives?

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
i have the same problem sometimes, it will only stop if you put the card on stock. its something with the drivers or then something with the idle clock being as high as your OC is instead of 157/300.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I disabled hardware acceleration for flash and can now watch Youtube videos without a problem, but I've done more research and it looks like a lot of people have this problem. Something to do with the 2d clocks. Yar, I should have looked into ocability before getting my 5850.

Its a good card regardless, just takes more fiddling than most.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Just as a side question, is it hard on my graphics card changing clocks often? I kinda figured it wouldn't be considering that it changes clocks all the time (power saving feature kinda thing). I usually clock it up to 850/1200 for gaming and then bring it back down afterwards to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.