What will two video cards do?

dizzyshotz

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello,
thank you for taking the time to read this. im dont know much about computers but i love gaming to the point where ive spent quite a bit of money, i owe it all to putting down the smokes. i have an asus p6x58d mo sli,i7-930, (6GB 3 x 2GB - 1600MHz DDR3-1600/PC3-12800, gtx 470 graphics card. my question is should i upgrade the video card to a newer one or double up the 470. thanks again.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Honestly,right now,the gtx 470 in SLI is a formidable beast.The 470 is a GREAT card and when ran in SLI,they scale very well.I wouldn't upgrade to the 570 or 580.I have 3 way SLI 480's and I am very happy with the performance.The main thing I ask myself is spending a ton of money justifiable to get an increase in benchmarks only..not really.That is why I am sticking with what I have for now.The features are just about the same,performance is lower but not enough for me to spend $1,500.I'll skip this round.Just some advice.I hope I helped.

jb6684

Distinguished
If you games to play at with the resolution & eye candy you want most definitely add a second GTX 470. Your going to need about an 850watt power supply to run solid.....

In SLI or Crossfire I've found 10C to 15C higher temps on the top card. With every with 5770, 5870, and 460 on three different motherboards, in three different cases. And I swapped 'em around too.....

SECRET FIX for your motherboard: (only if the temp on your top card is too high and your throttling the GPU)

Run one card in the BLUE slot closest to the CPU. Run the second card in the WHITE PCI-Express slot at the very edge of the motherboard.... (yeah, might be a bitch to get cables on the USB connectors ...)

True, you'll only run x16 / x8 vs the full power x16 / x16 of the two BLUE PCI-Express slots, but if that top card is too hot for ya I found this works great. BOTH cards run at the same temperature they would if there was only one card in the system.

Cost me an FPS or two but I'm running close to 100 FPS on this dual 5870 rig so, who cares....

BTW a pair of 470's will get you very similar performance to my 5870, maybe a bit Better....

How does 50--60 FPS in Crysis 2 (test version), 1920x1080, and max eye candy sound ?

Match your existing 470 with another.....if CPU is undersized, grab a 850 watter w/ a 9.5 or 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com

This one is a steal at the price it's being offered"

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=165

the XFX 850W Black Edition came looking to make a splash, and ended up doing a cannonball big enough to just about drown the competition. Voltage regulation is nothing short of fantastic, efficiency is excellent, and ripple and noise is just about nonexistent.

$130 ($110 2 weeks ago) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001

dizzyshotz

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

i like the idea of that. crysis and warhead are what got me started on all of this. please dont take this as bragging im really happy with this i have to say something. im playing them 1920x1200 very high settings antialising 16q. it plays perfect four settings go to custom but i cant control where they go. playing mod maps sometimes i get as many as five customs. i cant wait to see crysis 2. thank you again.