Bios support for AMD Phenom ii

Solution
The short answer is, if its not on HP's approved CPU list then it likely won't work. Just because the CPU can fit in the socket doesn't mean it will work. It sounds like AM3 support is not there. Also in question is whether the board can handle higher TDP processors. Otherwise I'd recommend the X4 940 for around $100, its AM2+ but also a 125W part.

Your upgrade options are limited. That's what buying an oem machine from gateway, Dell, Hp etc will do for you. Trying an untested BIOS on your motherboard is not wise unless you want to brick it and start over. Before sinking more money into this machine, I think you should weigh your options and possibly look at a system upgrade.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Your bios should have no problem detecting your CPU. Just mentioning bios 5.05 isn't enough. Anyhow, you don't have to worry about this. Your bios doesn't necessary give you the chip's name but it gives you the voltage, speed, fsb, etc.

hazook

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

Tho mobo is an old narra3 (M2N68-LA) from HP. It's an AM2+ board that officialy supports up to AMD 9600 x4 95 Watts, so an AMD Phenom II x4 840 3.0 Ghz will fit in the socket but I'm not sure that will be recognized by 5.05 bios.

hazook

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

Thanks for your help.

hazook

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

Thanks for the help.
1. There is no bios update available from HP.
2. What I mean is, will the cpu boots up at all?

hazook

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

1 .As for the bios ,the hp support page for my specific hp pavilion a6352f offers no bios update.That is weird because I know for a fact that there are other bios versions for narra3 5.13 and 5.14 .
I even found the hp page with bios 5.14 update but since it wasn't offered for my specific pc model I don't know if I can use it safely.
2. If I do the cpu upgrade without upgrading the bios I wonde if the computer boots or am I going to get blue/black screen + an error message.

The short answer is, if its not on HP's approved CPU list then it likely won't work. Just because the CPU can fit in the socket doesn't mean it will work. It sounds like AM3 support is not there. Also in question is whether the board can handle higher TDP processors. Otherwise I'd recommend the X4 940 for around $100, its AM2+ but also a 125W part.

Your upgrade options are limited. That's what buying an oem machine from gateway, Dell, Hp etc will do for you. Trying an untested BIOS on your motherboard is not wise unless you want to brick it and start over. Before sinking more money into this machine, I think you should weigh your options and possibly look at a system upgrade.

Solution

hazook

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

Thanks . I get the feeling there are to many question marks for this to be a reasonable course of action.I should propebly just save for a new pc.