Internet Help Please

Tags:
  • VPN
  • Call of Duty
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 15, 2010 2:25:41 AM

Hey guys, i have a problem. It has been going on since April. I pay for 1.5Mbps DSL Internet. Well the problem is that the internet speed drops so bad it just quits downloading anything. When i play Call of Duty the speed drops and it kicks me offline. When i try and test the speed it's in the area of 0.34-0.44 Kbps. Then it will come back and run fine for about 10 to 15 minutes and then it will drop again. It gets very annoying. Ive reset everything and nothing helps. Ive contacted my provider and they say they cant confirm the speed drop unless I test the speed from their site (which I have) It happens 24/7. I wish I could explain it better. I have even ran the connection straight from the modem but it still happens. Does anyone know what it could be? All my phone jacks have been test and everything is fine there. Please help. Thanks.

More about : internet

August 15, 2010 2:45:14 AM

114130,1,696573 said:
Hey guys, i have a problem. It has been going on since April. I pay for 1.5Mbps DSL Internet. Well the problem is that the internet speed drops so bad it just quits downloading anything. When i play Call of Duty the speed drops and it kicks me offline. When i try and test the speed it's in the area of 0.34-0.44 Kbps. Then it will come back and run fine for about 10 to 15 minutes and then it will drop again. It gets very annoying. Ive reset everything and nothing helps. Ive contacted my provider and they say they cant confirm the speed drop unless I test the speed from their site (which I have) It happens 24/7. I wish I could explain it better. I have even ran the connection straight from the modem but it still happens. Does anyone know what it could be? All my phone jacks have been test and everything is fine there. Please help. Thanks.

Another thing to add is that the LIGHTS on the modem remain the same and say i still have connection. I have ran PING tests and I get a lot of "Request Timed Out" when the connection drops. It just doesnt happen on my pc. It happens on my PS3 too. It's the whole internet. Thanks again. Please help.
m
l
August 15, 2010 2:24:00 PM

A few things to check: I'm guessing you use a router between your DSL modem and PC and PS3. If so, you might try setting up CoD as a DMZ service on your router, if you haven't done so already. Also, how old is your DSL modem? I had a cable modem for 10 years before I replaced it, and towards the end it would get too warm and start resetting itself, which of course dropped all the connections. Finally, IIRC most DSL ISPs use PPoE - make sure your router is set up for that connection.
m
l
August 16, 2010 2:04:50 AM

my modem is a comtrend CT-5071T. I have ran my modem straight to my ps3 and straight to my laptop. It still happens. It drops packets like crazy when the connection slows down. I am convinced it's something to do with my ISP. IT could be at the Remote or something on their end. Is their a program i can download to see what end the packets are being lost?
m
l