Upgrade a older Home PC to wireless

Had to move my modem and wireless router to the basement. I have a PC wired to that setup in the basement and have a laptop we use in the kitchen via wireless.

I have another PC upstairs that I would also like to access the internet. The router is a NetGear and the PC is a older Gateway 700xl I think.

What kind of adapter would I need to make this happen? Two story house and router is in basement. Didn't know if I needed something stronger to span that distance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade older home wireless
  1. have you tried to test the signal strength on the second floor?

    I would buy a PCI wireless network card
  2. I can bring the laptop up to check signal.

    Any card will do or is there better ones then others?
  3. What type of router do you have?
  4. Its a Netgear WGR614 v6
  5. did you have a chance to test the signal upstairs? reason I am asking to see if you need a repeater or a new router

    here is a NIC I would buy especially with the extra antennas it currently comes with.
  6. I'm in the room upstairs now with the laptop and I still have full strength. So it seems the signal won't be a problem.

    Can I save some money getting one with less antennas or isn't it that much less? If I could go with less could you point me to one on newegg?
  7. Best answer
    Don't get a NIC with fixed antennas, in case you have signal problems, you cannot add a booster antenna.

    By the way try to run the NIC without the supplied software first (only install drivers). Should you have problems use the software.
  8. Best answer selected by bmlocal175.
  9. TY...Ordered
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Wireless Router Wireless Networking Product