Sign in with
Your question

Help! Upgraded MSI Bios and PC won't get past boot screen

Last response: in Motherboards
April 24, 2012 2:05:00 PM

Hello,

I tried to use the MSI live update tool and update my bios yesterday. Unfortunately this did not work, it successfully went through all the update and then rebooted and my computer wont get past the Bios screen. It gets to the point where it reads, "Initializing USB controllers.."

I've tried to reset the CMOS, but it does NOTHING. I've moved the jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3 and then removed the battery on the mobo. It doesn't seem to have done anything. Anyone have any ideas?

I will try a PS2 keyboard tonight and see if I can get anywhere. My USB keyboard did not respond when booting up, but my USB mouse did. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Cliff

System:
MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze W0382RU ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular ...
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit
April 24, 2012 3:36:04 PM

Any chance you can flash back to pervious BIOS version?
April 24, 2012 4:05:08 PM

manicmike said:
Any chance you can flash back to pervious BIOS version?

I have tried to reset the CMOS so that it resets to factory BIOS settings, but it doesn't appear to work.
a c 431 V Motherboard
April 24, 2012 5:23:12 PM

msi was smart there a bios feature called m-flash built into the bios. it on page 3-24 of your mb user guild.
by defult it turned off. it has two settings bios and boot. in the bios mode it let you reflash the bios from a usb stick as long as the flash file is on the root of the usb stick. the other setting boot. lets you bypass the mb bios chips and boot from usb.
why some flash fails is if you look at your mb there are like 15 bios updates. a lot of people go from first bios to the last and that when they end up with issues. to do a flash update right you have to do them in order and power cycle between and reset the bios back to default. if you cant get to the m-flash email msi or call them with some vendors hitting a set number of keys at power up will for a mb to try and reflash itself. from a floppy or usb stick.
!