Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Super-Quiet enclosure + power supply and fans

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2011 1:33:31 AM

I am starting a build for a box that I would like to be very quiet.

CASE/ENCLOSURE:
I am trying to find a case that will be less than $100 since I want to purchase the PSU separate and replace the fans.

Some of the cases I have been looking at are:
NZXT H2
Antec Sonata Elite
Antec Sonata Proto
Antec Three Hundred
Antec One Hundred

I like the feature of having USB/audio/e-SATA on the front and good cable routing on the inside.
I do not need any side windows, led lights or cool styling on the case exterior. Sleek and plain is fine.
Suggestions?

POWER SUPPLY:
I would like a good quality energy efficient power supply that is also quiet. I am estimating I need a minimum of 550W at peak.
Any suggestions?

FANS:
I am also looking at Enermax fans for the case. But I am open other options that are quiet, super low Db but can move a lot of air with out the risk of overheating.

CPU COOLING:
I am also looking at
corsair H50 liquid cooling system
but would love to hear what any of you who are reading this think I should consider.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Best solution

May 11, 2011 2:01:15 AM

Pretty much any case will do, if you want to replace the stock fans with quieter ones.
I would suggest getting noctura fans, as they're really quiet and move quite a bit of air. You can also go for a noctura heatsink.

Almost all power supplies have quiet or silent fans, as long as they're a good brand. I have an antec 650w in my case, and when I was testing it earlier, I couldn't even tell it was on, only knowing because the fan was spinning.

I wouldn't get the corsair H50, it's got really noisy fans, the noctura is almost silent and does an EXCELLENT job at cooling the CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have a lian-li k58, and the fans are very quiet, almost drowned out by my stock intel CPU fan and my ASUS 6850 GPU. It's a sleek case, with an option to not have a window, and you could add some dampening foam to further reduce noise.
May 11, 2011 3:58:21 PM

agree with springhalo on all but the Any case will do statement. the H2 is a better/Quiet Case.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2011 4:54:40 PM

Thanks for the feed back!
I am diggin the Noctua... probably going to go with the DH-D14.

Those Lian Li cases are so nice... I am going to check those out for sure.

m
l
May 12, 2011 5:52:28 PM

Have you looked at the Fractal Design R3? I see the $100 version is sold out on newegg. It's $110 with free shipping here. Other than that, I think that NZXT H2 looks pretty solid, aside from the USB 3.0 cable plugging into the rear I/O shield. They have good fans and sound-dampening foam included. The space behind the motherboard tray looks deeper than most cases so cable routing should be ideal.

I would suggest against replacing the fans before your build is complete and running. You might be surprised by how quiet the stock ones are.
m
l
May 12, 2011 5:54:10 PM

You can also make pretty much any case silent by using a noise dampening foam kit like this one http://www.acousticpc.com/quiet_computer_case_insulatio.... I'm thinking of getting something similar for my case.. The supposedly silent fan on my graphics card isn't so silent, so I need something to dampen the noise.
m
l
May 12, 2011 9:05:02 PM

I was reading the Seasonics are nice PSUs.

I was diggin this one before your suggestion:
ENERMAX MODU87+ EMG800EWT 800W

Actually the Fractal Design R3 made it on to my short list of case options yesterday. I like that it as eSata on the front. Not that I am going to be moving my box around, but what I noticed was the R3 is 27lbs! Most cases are around 16lbs. Kinda crazy.

I might have to spend the extra dollars and go for a Lian-li case tho... so clean!

on a side note, anyone use the Kingston SSD drives?

Still spec'n out my stuff tho..
Thanks everyone.

m
l
May 19, 2011 12:24:33 AM

Best answer selected by thobry.
m
l
!