Should i enable cool n Quiet?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
What does cool n quiet even do? Does it underclock or something? I have the phenom ii x4 955.

its on auto right now, will enabling it keep my cpu cool, and decrease fan speeds?

Solution
Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU speed throttling and power saving technology introduced by AMD with its Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle. The aim of this technology is to reduce overall power consumption and lower heat generation, allowing for slower (thus quieter) cooling fan operation. The objectives of cooler and quieter result in the name Cool'n'Quiet. The technology is similar to Intel's SpeedStep and AMD's own PowerNow!, which were developed with the aim of increasing laptop battery life by reducing power consumption.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU speed throttling and power saving technology introduced by AMD with its Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle. The aim of this technology is to reduce overall power consumption and lower heat generation, allowing for slower (thus quieter) cooling fan operation. The objectives of cooler and quieter result in the name Cool'n'Quiet. The technology is similar to Intel's SpeedStep and AMD's own PowerNow!, which were developed with the aim of increasing laptop battery life by reducing power consumption.

Solution

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I have an AMD Phenom X3 8400 processor in an MSI motherboard and I personally have "Cool n Quiet" feature in BIOS disabled. I play a few FPS games such as the Call of Duty series (COD1,2 and 4) as well as Sniper-Ghost Warrior and found that when the Cool n Quiet feature was enabled, my gaming didn't run as well. Thus, I leave it disabled. If you have adequate fans in your case, I believe you really don't need this feature enabled.

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
I just installed this on my new tower, it says it drops the cpu to 800mhz after a few seconds of being idle then once you more the mouse or anything it jumps upto 2.8ghz (max).
Havent noticed a change in anything else yet.