How does Windows determine system inactivity for suspend?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 16, 2005 3:53:52 AM

I'm trying to have the system automatically suspend after some period of
inactivity. But I can't figure out how Windows 2000 decides if the system is
inactive or not.

I'm VNCing into the system and not using the keyboard or mouse. Sometimes I
can boot up the system, not touch it, not have anything running other than
VNC server (but no clients connected) and it will refuse to automatically go
into suspend.

Other times I will be actively using the system via VNC and it will suddenly
decide to suspend.

I assume Windows looks at keyboard or mouse activity as indication of
activity. But what about CPU utilization, disk or network activity? In
another case I was running Winamp and it decided to automatically suspend.
Does CPU utilization have to be above some threshold to make the system seem
"active"?

Do BIOS power management settings have any effect on Windows power
management?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2005 4:22:50 AM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:53:52 GMT, "foo" <foo@bar.com> wrote:

>Does CPU utilization have to be above some threshold to make the system seem
>"active"?

I say yes, although that may not the the ONLY thing Windows looks at.

Several MS knowledgebase hits mention the system resetting the timer
when cpu utilization goes about 10% (don't sue me) or so.

I know my box goes to sleep if a run my x-card video player only, it
has its own on-board decoder so main cpu utli very low. If I run the
same content via Media Player, then no sleep, more cpu util.

>Do BIOS power management settings have any effect on Windows power
>management?

I'd say yes. There should be a screen for "what wake up events" I'd
definitely checked HD (IRQ14?), unless u got a "ping the HD once in a
while" util in there.

Trial-and-error is all I can suggest, and start with the minimum
"needed" wakeup events.
!