Upgraded mobo, now fans are loud as hell

freddy1765

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I just upgraded some parts on my computer, specifically the motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 and the CPU to a 2500K.
The problem is I can't control the fanspeeds! I used SpeedFan before the upgrade, but it has no effect on rpm now. In the BIOS under PC health, the option to change rpm is grey, and it's driving me insane!

Isn't there a way to unlock the option to control fans in the BIOS or something?

Thanks!

Look for "smartfan" in the hardware monitor section of the bios; use the "calibrate" function and set to "quiet" after calibrating. If you're lucky, you'll have a separate setting for the system fans.

freddy1765

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Ill give that a go tomorrow, although I've been through the entire BIOS a few times, don't recall seeing 'calibrate' anywhere :/
Thanks though, certainly worth a try!

freddy1765

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Yes, they're all plugged into Sys_fan1/2, pwr_fan and obv cpu_fan ;)
It especially bothers me I can't control the CPU fan, shouldn't that always be configurable? All I can do is change the 'slope' in the bios, but that's not really what im looking for..

freddy1765

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Yea, there's nothing called 'calibrate' in my BIOS.. I'm considering buying a fan controller now, to make it work properly. These fans are getting a bit annoying when they spin as fast @ idle as during gaming :/

Newegg has at least two fan controllers that will fit in a 5.25 slot. One is made by sentry for around $25 (link doesn't work). You may need to purchase an adapter for the cpu fan; all the case fans should offer a standard 4 pin connector to match the controller plugs. I can't believe the board won't regulate the cpu fan; disconnect all the others and see what the noise level is for this fan only.

freddy1765

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I did disconnect all other fans to locate the pitch which annoys me the most, and it is indeed coming from the CPU. I rerouted some cabling and stuff, the other fans dont bother me now, but the fan on the 2500k has this weird pitched noise, like a subtle whine.. I was going to get an Evo 212 Hyper and OC it at some point, guess I should do that sooner rather than later.

But yes, that I can't control the fanspeed on it is odd!

BTW, sitting on desktop surfing/having skype open, the CPU is ~40 degrees Celsius, fan at 1000 RPM, is that alright for stock HSF?