512 mb video ram support - new 1G video card?

romeotdnh

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

It is an AGP 8x card but the board says 512m is max supported as most likely 512 was the most common and 1gig cards were not yet released

There are AGP versions of the HD 4670; like the HIS Ice Q.

Not sure what the OP means by "512 AGP support". Is that the aperture? I believe the way it works is if the video card is running low on memory, the system RAM will be used to store textures. Basically, the more VRAM the video card has the lower the aperture should be set to.

Back when I had an AGP Radeon X1900XT 512MB, I set the aperture to either 64MB or 128MB.

romeotdnh

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
In the motherboard BIOS the highest selection under Video card ram is 512. Bought the AGP HIS card and awaiting its arrival. Wondering if it will work and be supported by either of the 2 systems I have running both of which are Socket A with AGP. One ASUS A78n and an EPox 8rda3+. Maybe should have considered a system upgrade with good onbord video to start reasonbly affordable. Have decent peripherals in Socket A now and its looking expensive for a complete new system.

romeotdnh

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

So the lower setting did not have a negative impact set to a lower number than the video cards higher onboard ram than apparently supported by the motherboard?