Sign in with
Your question

Itching between SLI vs a completely new system

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2011 3:31:54 AM

scrutinize me or whatever here are my 2 scenarios. i just need opinions. i currently i have a q6600 @ 3.0ghz which is already showing it's age impractically. by impractically i mean most games, which i never thought the pc gaming industry would ever move to, are going CPU bound again. case/s in point are
f1 2010 and shift2 unleashed. for most of us who are into racing games would understand that to in order to properly play seriously, a constant 60fps is a necessity.

i swear when the first nfs shift was released it dissuade me to go the console route as whatever racing title those silly little boxes can offer, the pc already already has a franchise i could remain loyal to. but i digress when shift2 landed on my pc.

i would rant about f1 2010 as well but drivers 270xx sort of fixed the problem.

the rest of my current system: p5kse/4gb DDR2 800/gtx460 768mb(850/1600)/vx450

btw, the prices i will quote are converted prices from the country i come from (philippines) so quoting newegg prices won't help

i'm torn between the 2:
(note: PSU price won't be included as a psu upgrade is in the works, torn between a corsair gs600/tx650 (mind to give me a suggestion on here as well?), which would be my primary upgrade)

A: upgrade to a SLi system, move to ddr2 1066, buy a used gtx460 768, would cost me north of $250.00

b. parts list:

cpu:cpu, Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz (Quad Core)
mb: lga1155, ASRock P67 Pro3 B3 (LGA1155) P67, 4*ddr3
ram, G.Skill RipJawsX 4gb(Dual) ddr3-1600 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL)
gpu: retain my single gtx460 768

would cost around $430

now option B is a little tricky, i'm only moving to sb once i see how dozer works, most probably by that time (q4 2011?) prices on an SB system would be a bit lower or even higher (again this will depend on how dozer performs, remember the first phenoms against the penryns? we all laughed i know (sans the amd fanboys))

the move to option A is easier, i could have that setup in a month time depending on the availability of used parts.

P.S. don't preach me about power consumption.

gaming @ 1080p.. well, proper gpu bound games tend to disregard the cpu at this resolution. only interested on which will give more performance, a q6600 @3.0ghz with 2 gtx460s or 1 4ghz 2500k with a single gtx460. the independent variable here is shift2. money to be saved can be used on a driving force GT.

OT:and i don't know what happened to EA recently but they are selling their games here cheap, shift2/crysis2 at $30 each. ubisoft even. activision just sucks.
May 11, 2011 5:15:40 AM

I would suggest a totally new build. Your current build is using fairly outdated technology. If money is not a factor, then here is what I would suggest:
Gigabyte 870A
XFX HD Radeon 6850
AMD Phenom II X4 955, or Phenom II X6 1100T
Cooler Master HAF 932
Antec or Corsair 650W
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
Asus 24X DVD
4 Fans
Western Digital 500GB or 1TB Caviar Black
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
It should cost you ~900 USD

However, if you are sticking to those two options only. I would suggest b.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2011 4:36:44 PM

The Q6600 was the "future proofing" choice of the time.
Unfortunately, the future is now two generations later.
I would not pour more money into updating that platform.
Plan on selling the parts you do not need to amortize the cost of replacement.

If you have a cpu problem, fix it with a cpu solution. A second gpu is a fix for a graphics problem.

Today, sandy bridge is the way to go. It clocks higher, and it is more efficient, clock for clock than your Q6600, by perhaps 35%.
I see nothing better today for a gamer than a 2500K. It is shockingly fast at stock, overclocks to >4.0 easily, runs cooler. Lots to love.

DDR3 ram is cheaper than DDR2. Your DDR2 has some value on resale.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2011 2:36:16 AM

I would suggest a totally new build. Your current build is using fairly outdated technology. If money is not a factor, then here is what I would suggest:
Gigabyte 870A
XFX HD Radeon 6850
Cooler Master HAF 932
Antec or Corsair 650W
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
Asus 24X DVD
4 Fans
Cooler Master Hyper 212+

However, if you are sticking to those two options only. I would suggest b. said:
Gigabyte 870A
XFX HD Radeon 6850
Cooler Master HAF 932
Antec or Corsair 650W
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
Asus 24X DVD
4 Fans
Cooler Master Hyper 212+

However, if you are sticking to those two options only. I would suggest b.

no offense but going from a core 2 to a phenom 2 is just not an upgrade.

@ geofelt

yup, i believe the time to retire this q6600 is nearing. thanks for the inputs.

another question. 2500k's reaching 4ghz is fairly easy right? any decent p67 board can do it (asrock,asus) right?
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2011 3:39:41 PM

Virtually any 2500K will do 4.0.
Half will do>4.5.
A small number will do >4.7.
It depends on the chip, and cooling for the most part.

That said, 4.0 from a sandy bridge will run most any game out there well the limit being the graphics card.
Most games will use only two cores, perhaps three. Past that, it is the individual core speed that matters most.

There is a slight premium for the new Z68 motherboards. I would consider one if you have any interest in the ssd cacheing capabilities, or quick-sync.
But all the P67 motherboards should have decent OC capabilities. After all, the purpose of P67 is to permit OC of the "K" cpu's.
m
l
!