using an old (2000) laptop's dvd drive to read DVD+R or +R..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2005 9:49:32 PM

My old windows laptop appears not to be able to read a DVD disk with
data on it. But it can play a movie. Is this normal? (I suppose back in
2000 there were no DVD burners, so they didn't think/know to have them
read data written from a home PC, or what?) What should I look at, if
anything, to get the drive to read a data DVD disk?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2005 9:57:13 PM

"Tdub" <gripshift5@email.com> writes:
> My old windows laptop appears not to be able to read a DVD disk with
> data on it. But it can play a movie. Is this normal?

If you mean it can only read factory-pressed discs and not recordable
discs, yes, that is normal.

> (I suppose back in 2000 there were no DVD burners, so they didn't
> think/know to have them read data written from a home PC, or what?)
> What should I look at, if anything, to get the drive to read a data
> DVD disk?

Use another drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2005 1:49:32 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:

> "Tdub" <gripshift5@email.com> writes:
>> My old windows laptop appears not to be able to read a DVD disk with
>> data on it. But it can play a movie. Is this normal?
>
> If you mean it can only read factory-pressed discs and not recordable
> discs, yes, that is normal.
>
>> (I suppose back in 2000 there were no DVD burners, so they didn't
>> think/know to have them read data written from a home PC, or what?)
>> What should I look at, if anything, to get the drive to read a data
>> DVD disk?
>
> Use another drive.

Sounds like a bad drive. My Thinkpad 770 has never had any trouble with
burned DVDs and it came with Windows 9_5_.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Thanks, Alex, you were right on the money. Went out and got "-R" discs,
and that solved the problem. An HP n5190 laptop won't read "+" format
discs.
!