Installed Win7 on new drive, but old drive is needed to boot

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I just finished installing Windows 7 on a brand new, newly configured HDD (A WD Caviar Blue 320GB). The OS is working fine, but when I try to boot with only the new drive plugged in, the BIOS or whatever says I need to connect my old drive.

More info: As opposed to installing Win7 via CD at boot, I installed it from the autorun while XP (previous OS) was running. When I fire up the set-up that has the old and new drives both connected, it works, but asks me whether I want to boot into XP or Win7.

I am using Win7 Ultimate 32 bit and XP SP 3

I would greatly appreciate any help, as I am forced to use a drive that shouldn't have any Win7 files on it to boot :(

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I did the same thing you did I think. I actually liked it since I had 7 on ssd and vista on hdd and could swap when i wanted to just run on my hdd instead of ssd for downloading and other crap. To fix it I just reformatted my ssd and reinstalled using the cd on ssd and worked fine after that...can't boot to vista on my old hdd anymore though :(

finfrocka

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I had the same problem, if the above post doesn't work then try this: For me I had to install windows xp then reinstall windows 7 over it. If you bought the student update version like i did that might be the only solution.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
You just overwrote your MBR.

Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
Press a key when you are prompted.
Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
Click Repair your computer.
Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Choose /fixboot option

or do it from windows xp http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us [...] 51681.aspx

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Thanks for the reply.

I did as instructed up to the entering of the /fixboot command. I entered it in the terminal and it gave me an error: /fixboot is not a valid command.... etc.

What the hell? Why doesn't this work? It's on the f%&*ing list o' commands for chrissakes.

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

I just tried it... I still got the same message- command not recognized as a valid internal or external command :(

Do you have any idea as to why this isn't working? I mean, it lists the valid command then and there?

It's got me stumped for sure

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Gee, sorry to keep badgering you like this..
What I did was type in 'bootrec.exe' first, whereupon the CLI presented me with a list of commands, which I attempted to enter separately?

Am I supposed to enter 'bootrec.exe /fixboot' as one line? I'll try that now I guess.

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah, my bad also for not trying that.

The thing is that entering either of these commands did not fix the problem. I still need to have the old C: drive hooked up in order to boot, even though Windows 7 is on my new drive.

I've done a lot of googling, and I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have to reinstall Windows 7.
The only reason I can think of as to why the MBR is messed is that I installed Win7 through the XP GUI, not starting fresh with a disc at startup.

Thanks for all your help so far!