Sign in with
Your question

Lost recovery partition

Last response: in Motherboards
April 24, 2012 7:01:12 PM

Ok. Long time lurker who has finally come out of his shell for a little assistance.

I purchased a asus essentio series 6850 desktop awhile back and was interested in doing a completed restore on my computer. I have a couple of issues that are currently hanging me up.

When I try to use the asus back up wizard to create my back up discs it tells me to prepare a disc, insert it into the computer and click begin. Once i hit begin the desktop will restart and eventually take me back to the user log-in screen with no signs of the asus back up wizard to be seen. My next step was to try the F9 method at start up do a system recovery through that rout but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be available. The only option I am given is to click on windows 7 which then takes me back to my user log-in screen.

I proceeded to deal with asus customer support which was no help at all. It was explained to me that my recovery partition is either corrupted or does not exist and it then was recommended that i purchase the recovery cd from the website. Im having a hard time swallowing this seeing that the recovery partition has completely gone missing...

I would really appreciate any opinions or ideas so that I could avoid having to purchase the recovery disc. If I can help by showing any screen captures or pictures feel free to let me know :) 

.Nick
August 12, 2012 9:20:16 AM

nickd503 said:
Ok. Long time lurker who has finally come out of his shell for a little assistance.

I purchased a asus essentio series 6850 desktop awhile back and was interested in doing a completed restore on my computer. I have a couple of issues that are currently hanging me up.

When I try to use the asus back up wizard to create my back up discs it tells me to prepare a disc, insert it into the computer and click begin. Once i hit begin the desktop will restart and eventually take me back to the user log-in screen with no signs of the asus back up wizard to be seen. My next step was to try the F9 method at start up do a system recovery through that rout but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be available. The only option I am given is to click on windows 7 which then takes me back to my user log-in screen.

I proceeded to deal with asus customer support which was no help at all. It was explained to me that my recovery partition is either corrupted or does not exist and it then was recommended that i purchase the recovery cd from the website. Im having a hard time swallowing this seeing that the recovery partition has completely gone missing...

I would really appreciate any opinions or ideas so that I could avoid having to purchase the recovery disc. If I can help by showing any screen captures or pictures feel free to let me know :) 

.Nick

Open Windows Explorer.

Right click on Computer (might be called Asus - mine is)

Left click Manage - Computer Management window opens
Left click Storage - Disk Management should be visible
Left click Disk Management
On right side of window - right click the partition that holds the Recovery info (the name varies - usually the one furthest left)
Left click Mark partition as active
Close Computer Managemnt window

The AI burner should now work to allow recovery disks to be created - it did for me.

The recovery partition should now also allow recovery by pressing F9 during booting up.

m
l
!