Nintendo pledges long-term support for GameCube

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2004 4:12:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_n...

Nintendo pledges long-term support for GameCube

Rob Fahey 16:00 14/06/2004
Current generation console won't go to the guillotine in the
Revolution

Comments made in a Japanese newspaper by Nintendo president Satoru
Iwata indicate that the company is planning to continue to sell the
GameCube hardware well into the lifespan of its next-generation
console, codenamed "Revolution."

Iwata told Yomiuri Shimbun that Nintendo may well sell the
"Revolution" device alongside the GameCube hardware for quite some
time - presumably hoping to follow in the footsteps of Sony, which
continued to sell large volumes of the PSone long after the launch of
the PS2.

However, it's not clear whether Iwata's comments represent a
commitment from the company to continue developing new software for
the GameCube into the next console cycle, or simply an intention to
continue supplying the channel with new units for as long as they are
required.

The "Revolution" system, which is Nintendo's next home console, will
be unveiled at E3 next May in Los Angeles, and is expected to launch
in 2006 - although the E3 unveiling could equally indicate a late 2005
launch in Japan.

Nintendo has pledged that "Revolution" will mark a genuine departure
from traditional home consoles, with a focus not only on increased
processing and graphical prowess but on new ways of interacting with
the system and new forms of gameplay.
June 15, 2004 1:49:13 AM

On 14 Jun 2004 12:12:56 -0700, radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote:

>http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_n...

>Nintendo pledges long-term support for GameCube
>
>Rob Fahey 16:00 14/06/2004
>Current generation console won't go to the guillotine in the
>Revolution
>

>Comments made in a Japanese newspaper by Nintendo president Satoru
>Iwata indicate that the company is planning to continue to sell the
>GameCube hardware well into the lifespan of its next-generation
>console, codenamed "Revolution."
>
>Iwata told Yomiuri Shimbun that Nintendo may well sell the
>"Revolution" device alongside the GameCube hardware for quite some
>time - presumably hoping to follow in the footsteps of Sony, which
>continued to sell large volumes of the PSone long after the launch of
>the PS2.
>
>However, it's not clear whether Iwata's comments represent a
>commitment from the company to continue developing new software for
>the GameCube into the next console cycle, or simply an intention to
>continue supplying the channel with new units for as long as they are
>required.

Who cares if they continue to ship hardware if they aren't making
games for it? Sony still ships PSOne hardware but does anyone notice?

GC games are already being axed in favor of development for the next
system, just like many games were axed for N64 in favor of GC.
June 15, 2004 1:49:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

Please go away you cross-posting, human photocopier!

Rob
June 15, 2004 3:26:21 PM

______
> Nintendo pledges long-term support for GameCube
>
> Rob Fahey 16:00 14/06/2004
> Current generation console won't go to the guillotine in the
> Revolution
>

> Comments made in a Japanese newspaper by Nintendo president Satoru
> Iwata indicate that the company is planning to continue to sell the
> GameCube hardware well into the lifespan of its next-generation
> console, codenamed "Revolution."
>
> Iwata told Yomiuri Shimbun that Nintendo may well sell the
> "Revolution" device alongside the GameCube hardware for quite some
> time - presumably hoping to follow in the footsteps of Sony, which
> continued to sell large volumes of the PSone long after the launch of
> the PS2.
>
> However, it's not clear whether Iwata's comments represent a
> commitment from the company to continue developing new software for
> the GameCube into the next console cycle, or simply an intention to
> continue supplying the channel with new units for as long as they are
> required.

Interesting but I wonder is there enough interest out there, especially
once "Revolution" comes out to keep people buying the GC? I suppose if
it was really cheap. The PSOne has the benefit of a huge (although not
necessarily better) range of games.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:27:36 PM

"News" <news-groups(all_0f_th1s)@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_n...

> ______
> > Nintendo pledges long-term support for GameCube
> >
> > Rob Fahey 16:00 14/06/2004
> > Current generation console won't go to the guillotine in the
> > Revolution
> >

> > Comments made in a Japanese newspaper by Nintendo president Satoru
> > Iwata indicate that the company is planning to continue to sell the
> > GameCube hardware well into the lifespan of its next-generation
> > console, codenamed "Revolution."
> >
> > Iwata told Yomiuri Shimbun that Nintendo may well sell the
> > "Revolution" device alongside the GameCube hardware for quite some
> > time - presumably hoping to follow in the footsteps of Sony, which
> > continued to sell large volumes of the PSone long after the launch of
> > the PS2.
> >
> > However, it's not clear whether Iwata's comments represent a
> > commitment from the company to continue developing new software for
> > the GameCube into the next console cycle, or simply an intention to
> > continue supplying the channel with new units for as long as they are
> > required.
>
> Interesting but I wonder is there enough interest out there, especially
> once "Revolution" comes out to keep people buying the GC? I suppose if
> it was really cheap. The PSOne has the benefit of a huge (although not
> necessarily better) range of games.

It's fairly obvious that Nintendo will just be following Sony, ala the
PSone, and continue to market the GC at a rockbottom price as a "budget"
console. There's not really anything strange about that/ It's not gonna be a
"fourth pillar", if that's what you're all thinking. (And neither is the DS,
I might add, any day now Nintendo's going to announce it's offical Gameboy
name....)
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 6:43:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

Hi

> Please go away you cross-posting, human photocopier!

I think he is doing a good job. i dont have the time to cruise
all those websites for news and so i am happy he is collecting
the information for me. I am thankful for his service!

regards

Christoph K.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:51:33 AM

"Markus" <diespammersdie> wrote in news:16OdnYUtJP-3olLdRVn-vA@look.ca:
> It's fairly obvious that Nintendo will just be following Sony, ala the
> PSone, and continue to market the GC at a rockbottom price as a
> "budget" console.

Hey, they could be following Sega by simply lying outright to their
core audience before abandoning their console system and going
multiplatform. They can license Acclaim to port Pikmin to the PS2,
then re-release all the Mario games on the Xbox rather than making a
new one. :p
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:23:37 AM

"Markus" <diespammersdie> wrote in message news:16OdnYUtJP-3olLdRVn-

> It's fairly obvious that Nintendo will just be following Sony, ala the
> PSone, and continue to market the GC at a rockbottom price as a "budget"
> console.

That's the third time I've heard this "following Sony" bit. I know Nintendo
dropped the N64 like a hot rock even before the Gamecube arrived, but
supporting the Gamecube after their new console comes out isn't "following
Sony". Nintendo just stopped production of Famicom (NES) consoles LAST
YEAR, and they had a redesigned NES after the Super Nintendo came out, too.
And they didn't stop making NES games until way after the SNES came out.
Same for the SNES-to-N64 changeover--they had a redesigned SNES, just like
Sony and the PSOne. Sony copied them, not the other way around, and good
for them, 'cause it only makes sense.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:08:10 AM

"Chris Do" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<camqub$oae$06$1@news.t-online.com>...
> Hi
>
> > Please go away you cross-posting, human photocopier!
>
> I think he is doing a good job. i dont have the time to cruise
> all those websites for news and so i am happy he is collecting
> the information for me. I am thankful for his service!
>
> regards
>
> Christoph K.

I agree, I think he's doing a good service to those who can't be arsed
or who haven't got the time or interest (all three on my account) to
trawl through countless sites. Good work chap.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 12:37:09 AM

"Billy Bissette" <baines@coastalnet.com> wrote in message
> "Markus" <diespammersdie> wrote in news:16OdnYUtJP-3olLdRVn-vA@look.ca:
> > It's fairly obvious that Nintendo will just be following Sony, ala the
> > PSone, and continue to market the GC at a rockbottom price as a
> > "budget" console.
>
> Hey, they could be following Sega by simply lying outright to their
> core audience before abandoning their console system and going
> multiplatform. They can license Acclaim to port Pikmin to the PS2,
> then re-release all the Mario games on the Xbox rather than making a
> new one. :p

Well... nobody ever claimed that making sound business decisions was one of
Sega's strengths.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 9:27:09 AM

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Markus" <diespammersdie> wrote in message news:16OdnYUtJP-3olLdRVn-
>
> > It's fairly obvious that Nintendo will just be following Sony, ala the
> > PSone, and continue to market the GC at a rockbottom price as a "budget"
> > console.
>
> That's the third time I've heard this "following Sony" bit. I know
Nintendo
> dropped the N64 like a hot rock even before the Gamecube arrived, but
> supporting the Gamecube after their new console comes out isn't "following
> Sony". Nintendo just stopped production of Famicom (NES) consoles LAST
> YEAR, and they had a redesigned NES after the Super Nintendo came out,
too.
> And they didn't stop making NES games until way after the SNES came out.
> Same for the SNES-to-N64 changeover--they had a redesigned SNES, just like
> Sony and the PSOne. Sony copied them, not the other way around, and good
> for them, 'cause it only makes sense.

Well, if you really want to get picky about it, it wasn't Nintendo's idea
either. Following the market crash of 1983-84, and the introduction of the
NES that revitalized the market, Atari re-released the original 2600 as a
new, more compact system. Since then, a lot of companies have followed the
lead. Nintendo followed up the NES with a smaller, top-loading NES, and the
SNES with a redesigned SNES. Sega had the Genesis 3--a smaller version of
the Genesis. And, of course, Sony had the PS One and is reportedly in the
process of creating a smaller, redesigned PS Two.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:08:12 AM

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message news:<JY9Ac.104630$3x.58598@attbi_s54>...
> "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > "Markus" <diespammersdie> wrote in message news:16OdnYUtJP-3olLdRVn-
> >
> > > It's fairly obvious that Nintendo will just be following Sony, ala the
> > > PSone, and continue to market the GC at a rockbottom price as a "budget"
> > > console.
> >
> > That's the third time I've heard this "following Sony" bit. I know
> Nintendo
> > dropped the N64 like a hot rock even before the Gamecube arrived, but
> > supporting the Gamecube after their new console comes out isn't "following
> > Sony". Nintendo just stopped production of Famicom (NES) consoles LAST
> > YEAR, and they had a redesigned NES after the Super Nintendo came out,
> too.
> > And they didn't stop making NES games until way after the SNES came out.
> > Same for the SNES-to-N64 changeover--they had a redesigned SNES, just like
> > Sony and the PSOne. Sony copied them, not the other way around, and good
> > for them, 'cause it only makes sense.
>
> Well, if you really want to get picky about it, it wasn't Nintendo's idea
> either. Following the market crash of 1983-84, and the introduction of the
> NES that revitalized the market, Atari re-released the original 2600 as a
> new, more compact system. Since then, a lot of companies have followed the
> lead. Nintendo followed up the NES with a smaller, top-loading NES, and the
> SNES with a redesigned SNES. Sega had the Genesis 3--a smaller version of
> the Genesis. And, of course, Sony had the PS One and is reportedly in the
> process of creating a smaller, redesigned PS Two.

Any idea when the redesigned PS Two will show up and how much it'll
cost? My brother's had a PS2 for awhile but since he doesn't live
close by I only get to play it once in a great while, pretty much once
a year for just a couple hours, so I'm still playing GTA3 and Kingdom
Hearts. I originally had a PS1 but when I finally was able to afford
a next gen console I went with Xbox because the older PS2 was still in
the $300 price range.

I've always liked the backwards compatibility aspect of the PS2. With
the inception of the PS Two's smaller architecture will it still
support ps1 games? I think I'll definitely be getting a PS3 when it
comes out, especially if it supports both PS2 and PS1 games. I was
just in ebgames the other day and picked up a couple of the older FF
games that I didn't get when they first came out. With the popularity
of Gamestop and Ebgames the software libraries of older systems are
hanging around longer for those who still play with those systems. I
seriously think that if Xbox and Nintendo don't support backwards
compatibility in the next generation than they can kiss any chance of
success goodbye.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 11:04:07 PM

"Joseph Phillips" <littlejoeflub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > > That's the third time I've heard this "following Sony" bit. I know
> > Nintendo
> > > dropped the N64 like a hot rock even before the Gamecube arrived, but
> > > supporting the Gamecube after their new console comes out isn't
"following
> > > Sony". Nintendo just stopped production of Famicom (NES) consoles
LAST
> > > YEAR, and they had a redesigned NES after the Super Nintendo came out,
> > too.
> > > And they didn't stop making NES games until way after the SNES came
out.
> > > Same for the SNES-to-N64 changeover--they had a redesigned SNES, just
like
> > > Sony and the PSOne. Sony copied them, not the other way around, and
good
> > > for them, 'cause it only makes sense.
> >
> > Well, if you really want to get picky about it, it wasn't Nintendo's
idea
> > either. Following the market crash of 1983-84, and the introduction of
the
> > NES that revitalized the market, Atari re-released the original 2600 as
> > new, more compact system. Since then, a lot of companies have followed
the
> > lead. Nintendo followed up the NES with a smaller, top-loading NES, and
the
> > SNES with a redesigned SNES. Sega had the Genesis 3--a smaller version
of
> > the Genesis. And, of course, Sony had the PS One and is reportedly in
the
> > process of creating a smaller, redesigned PS Two.
>
> Any idea when the redesigned PS Two will show up and how much it'll
> cost? My brother's had a PS2 for awhile but since he doesn't live
> close by I only get to play it once in a great while, pretty much once
> a year for just a couple hours, so I'm still playing GTA3 and Kingdom
> Hearts. I originally had a PS1 but when I finally was able to afford
> a next gen console I went with Xbox because the older PS2 was still in
> the $300 price range.

Are you waiting for the price to drop before getting one? About a week ago
they had the new progressive scan PS2, with packed in network adapter & ATV
Offroad Fury 2, at Circuit City for $149, which also included a free starter
kit (extra controller, extension cables, remote) and the mem card for only
$10 with purchase of a system. $160 bucks for that setup ain't bad.
!