Acer Aspire 3680 Notebook No Power, no lights - Power Supply Blinking

etbrown4

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I expect that the most common answer for this problem, may be a defective power jack. There may be other answers as well which I'd like to hear about.

This laptop mysteriously died overnight one night, while not in use. There had never been any prior problem. It was working perfectly with no symptoms like an intermittent charging light etc. I tried to power it up the next day, and nothing!

With the power and battery off, I've held down the power switch for over a minute and then attached the power, but no difference.

I've studied the jack closely and it does not seem loose, nor does the center pin seem loose.

Before trying a new power jack, is there a way to trouble shoot the jack to see if power is coming through? I have 19v dc at the power connector on the power cord, before connecting.

After some dis-assembly, I see terminals pc1 and pc2 on the back of the board where the jack attaches. I also see pL1 and pL2.

Anyone know every tried to read voltage between any of those contacts? I tried to read between pc1 and pc2 and got no voltage. Have no idea if that is a good place to try to read voltage.

Any tips appreciated!

P.S. I have a steady power light on the power supply before connecting to laptop. It blinks when connected, however there are no lights on the laptop at all. CMOS battery shows 3.06v.

kozpink

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Hey there did you ever get to the bottom of this
I have exactly the same problem with acer travelmate but different model