Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XFX 5670 No Signal! (Urgent!)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2011 8:11:57 PM

Hey guys,
Today I just received my package from UPS.
I ordered the XFX 5670 1GB.
I installed it right away.
When I turned on the PC, it had no signal.

Now,
Many things could have gone wrong.
They may not have anything to with the problem, but am just throwing ideas around.

1. I only have a single link DVI cable. (The 5670 only has one dual link DVI)
2. I also installed 2GB's of RAM.
3. My PCI-E slot could be dead (I hope not)
4. My PC could not support the graphics card.
(PC specs here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...)

That's all I could think of.

I also disable the onboard chipset,
If that may cause of problem as well.

I really need help!!

More about : xfx 5670 signal urgent

a c 125 U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 8:20:10 PM

Generally speaking it should just be a matter of plugging in the GPU and the motherboard will automatically disable onboard graphics. Can you link to the exact model of 5670 you bought? And you plugged your monitor into the GPU's output right?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 8:28:35 PM

What type of RAM did you put in it? Was it the same kind that you had before. Never mix RAM. I doubt that would be it, by hey, who knows.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 8:32:32 PM

Hmmm.... shouldn't be a problem. Did you un-install your IGP drivers???? If not, try that, then installed the latest and greatest (not really greatest) AMD drivers. Maybe it will fix it.
m
l
March 4, 2011 8:47:28 PM

I didn't un-install anything mate,
It's really weird because the PC boots up.
The fan spins on the graphics card.

I'll downloading the the drivers off of AMD.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 9:24:32 PM

MAKE SURE THAT YOU UN-INSTALL YOUR IGP DRIVERS FIRST!!!!!!!! YOU MIGHT MAKE IT WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 4, 2011 9:26:23 PM

HostileDonut said:
MAKE SURE THAT YOU UN-INSTALL YOUR IGP DRIVERS FIRST!!!!!!!! YOU MIGHT MAKE IT WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*ck!
Okay am doing a system restore,

m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 9:42:48 PM

Use driver sweeper to sweep display drivers only IN SAFE MODE. Then DL the latest AMD drivers.
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:08:18 PM

Okay,
Before I un-install anything.
I think there is something wrong with the graphics card.

I went to Device Manager,
And I clicked on Display Adapters to see if the PC can find the card.
Well, the card doesn't even show up.
Here's a screenshot.
http://i51.tinypic.com/2hxsojq.jpg

It only registers the IGP,
Even though I have the card inside.
?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 10:11:43 PM

Ahhhhh... Well, go into the BIOS and disable the IGP. My IGP has auto and always on, try switching to auto or off. Also, tell your computer to search for a PCIx card before IGP. That should be in a section called PnP/PCI or something like that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 10:13:04 PM

Btw, if you have the IGp drivers installed, but no VGA driver installed, it might only recognize the IGP, but don't install them both at the same time.
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:19:47 PM

HostileDonut said:
Btw, if you have the IGp drivers installed, but no VGA driver installed, it might only recognize the IGP, but don't install them both at the same time.

I went to the BIOS,
I changed the onboard video from the PCI-E to on Onboard Video.

I seriously don't know whats going on.
Am going to try to install the card on my dads Dell.
I just want to see if the card is dead or not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 10:23:21 PM

No, change it from IGP to PCI-E. You can also tell your computer to search for a VGA before searching for a IGP. Go PnP/PCI or something like that and change it to PCIx and also turn OFF the IGP. If the fan still spins, it is probably not broken. If none of this works, RMA. Really, try using driver sweeper in safe mode and then install the cards latest drivers. It's really easy.
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:27:00 PM

Okay,
Something is seriously wrong.

I shutdown my PC,
I opened the case,
and the fans on the Processor, GPU, and other fans were still spinning!!
Even though the PC was already turned off.

HostileDonut said:
No, change it from IGP to PCI-E. You can also tell your computer to search for a VGA before searching for a IGP. Go PnP/PCI or something like that and change it to PCIx and also turn OFF the IGP. If the fan still spins, it is probably not broken. If none of this works, RMA. Really, try using driver sweeper in safe mode and then install the cards latest drivers. It's really easy.

I really don't understand you man,
Am sorry,
Am kinda new to everything.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 10:31:46 PM

If you shut down your computer, and then opened the case, you might still have your fans spinning. If you waited a minute, and they were still spinning, and the rest of your system is still getting power, that is very weird. Okay, I will try to explain again. Go into your BIOS, turn OFF the IGP, then go into another BIOS section called PnP/PCI or something along those lines. Change it from IGP to PCIx. Go into safe-mode, run driver sweeper ON THE DISPLAY DRIVERS ONLY. Then go to the AMD website and download their latest drivers. What OS do you have?????
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:43:18 PM

Hold on mate,
Am going upload to some screenshots of the BIOS.

I have Windows 7, 32 bit btw
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 11:04:21 PM

Okay, before you do that, you haven't done the best thing you can do for yourself. GO INTO SAFE MODE, RUN DRIVER SWEEPER, INSTALL THE AMD DRIVERS!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO AFTER DISABLING THE IGP!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 11:07:35 PM

Btw, I am not trying to scream like a mad scream, just a COMON MAN, DO IT!!!!!! type of scream.
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:13:27 PM

Ah!
I understand man,
But I am talking to XFX customer support and they're telling me that my mobo is "probably" incompatible..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 11:16:30 PM

You got to be kidding me...... I thought PCI-E meant PCI-E..... Maybe it doesn't to XFX or Compaq..... *sarcasm* How did one of them screw that up? If you have a PCI-E slot, you should be able to but a PCI-E video card in it. This is ridiculous.......
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:18:12 PM

Here's XFX response.

[3/4/2011 10:14:51 PM] Hi, what motherboard do you have? Some older motherboards require a BIOS update to work with the new PCIE 2.1 cards. The problem that we have seen is that because many of these boards are older the manufacturer of the motherboard had dropped support for them before ever updating to include support for these upcoming features. Check your motherboard manufacturer’s website for the latest BIOS update available for your motherboard. If you still do not get display from the card after updating then this card will not work with your motherboard. You would need a newer motherboard to have support for its features. These cards will work with basically any motherboard currently being sold. If you have any questions about specific motherboards with this card please let us know the model and we can confirm for you. If you prefer to stay with your current system then I would recommend a PCIE 2.0 card like the ATI 4000 series cards. Thank you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 11:20:31 PM

Easy fix, update the BIOS.
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:22:30 PM

Am trying to mate,
Am on the Intel Download Center.
My mobo is a ECS 945GCT-HM
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 11:25:27 PM

COOL!!!!!!!!!! :)  :D  ;)  :bounce:  :o  :)  :bounce:  :o  ;)  :D  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 11:33:50 PM

It won't be on the Intel website, it will be on the ECS website. ECS makes your board.
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:44:42 PM

I think I found it,
Is it safe to flash the bios?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 12:45:51 AM

Generally yes, but never flash a BIOS unless you need to. Sometimes, it can give you a corrupted BIOS, which is VERY BAD!!! But, you should be fine. If you want your GPU to work, I would try it. Try what I said first though, just in case it doesn't work.
m
l
March 5, 2011 1:09:35 AM

HostileDonut said:
Generally yes, but never flash a BIOS unless you need to. Sometimes, it can give you a corrupted BIOS, which is VERY BAD!!! But, you should be fine. If you want your GPU to work, I would try it. Try what I said first though, just in case it doesn't work.

Hey man,
I was wondering if I can IM you since exchanging replies on the forums takes a bit longer. If it's okay with you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 2:30:49 AM

I do not have a account I can IM with. You mean like FB, MS, MSN, or things like that?
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:31:56 AM

Yeah man,
That works great as well.
I would really appreciate it :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 2:37:45 AM

Sorry man, I do not have any of 'em. I will be gone after 9 P.M. tonight, but I should be back sometime not too late tomorrow. I would guess 12-3 P.M. Try the driver sweeper like I said, if that doesn't work, update the BIOS. To tell you the truth, I have never updated a BIOS, so I am not very experienced with it. This is how I understand you would update it: DL BIOS file, burn the BIOS file to a disk, go to BIOS, tell it to boot to a disk or press update/upgrade BIOS, then let the machine do the rest. DOWNLOAD YOUR SAME BIOS YOU HAVE NOW AND BURN THAT TO A DISK TOO, JUST IN CASE THE OTHER GOES WRONG!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress to you enough, how much you need to be prepared, messing with a BIOS and screw your whole entire computer over. HAVE FUN!!!!!! :lol: 
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:41:17 AM

Yeah man,
Updating the BIOS is one nasty business.

lol, The reason why I haven't tried the driver sweeper technique is because I have no idea how I'll be able to get my video working again.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 2:43:29 AM

Oh, well, yeah, unless Intel has the drivers on their website. They probably do. I'll check.
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:45:02 AM

Yeah,
Am sure Intel has them.

I downloaded Driver Sweeper,
I think am just going to go for it.
It's going to be a long night tonight.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 2:47:31 AM

WAAAAAAITTTTTTT!! NOOOOOO!!!!!! DON'T!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT HAVE THEM!!!! I CHECKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 2:52:40 AM

Maybe that is it, just not the same name HP gave it. You can give it a try if you want, but please, if it doesn't work, don't come back mad at me.....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 3:21:02 AM

Okay, I have to leave now though. So, good luck man. I'll be back at around 1:30 tomorrow. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 7:44:45 PM

DID IT WORK?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?????????????????????!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!
m
l
March 5, 2011 8:08:28 PM

Nothing worked!
But,
Yesterday I was talking to some buddies from a forum and they reminded me about my 20 power pin connectors to my mobo.

My power supply only has 20 pins,
And am guessing that I need the extra 4 pins for the graphics.

Hopefully this is the solution, because quite frankly am running out of ideas and hope :??: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 8:20:58 PM

Hm, maybe. Does your motherboard need 20+4 pins? If yes, it could be, but like you said, it gets power. Do not upgrade the PSU first, RMA it first.
m
l
March 5, 2011 8:24:58 PM

Well,
The current PSU am now is from a old Dell,
I swicthed it out because I used to have a 250w.

That old PSU only has 20 pins to the mobo.

So am sure that my mobo doesn't need the 24 pins,
I think I could sure use those extra 4 pins to power the graphics card
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 8:40:45 PM

The hd 5670 doesn't need a 6 pin, plus don't use a 4 pin for a 6 pin in any place. GFX cards take 6 pins, not 4 pins. If you MoBo is a 24 MoBo, plug in the other 4. What is your PSU wattage???????? Maybe your PSU is not good enough.
m
l
!