Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU temp somewhat high? stock cooling

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2011 11:40:14 PM

My processor idles at 37C (3k fan rpms) when windows is idle (no browser or anything loaded aside from background apps and the OS) with cool 'n quiet enabled. While browsing and listening to radio stations my temp rises to 45C. When i am browsing and playing games like Torchlight, my temps rise to around 52C (fan reports 6.1k rpms). Should I be concerned about these temps?

I have thoroughly cleaned the case and all fans with compressed air. I tried moving the cables away from the directions of the fans as best as possible.

I have used PC Probe II for my ASUS board, the BIOS, and speedfan to monitor my temps. All my temps are fine except my processor. My ambient room temperature is 25.6C .

Specs
Case: Generic 6yd old atx midtower case. 1x 80mm front intake fan and 1 pci 80mm fan pointed upwards. The side panel is removed for all of these conditions

CPU: amd Phenom II x4 965 BE edition

CPU Cooler: stock cooler

TIM: Arctic silver 5

PSU: 3 year old Viotek 700p 700 max combined wattage and has 2 80mm fans.
12v 36a ; 5v 50a ; 3.3v 45a
not modular, not 80 efficient, single rail

RAM: 2x2gb DDR3 1333 corsair xms

GPU: e-geforce 512mb 8800gts

HDD: 7200rpm 250gb Western Digital

Optical drive: Sony dual layer with lightscribe dvd burner
August 7, 2011 11:41:02 PM

Computer is all stock and no overclocks. It is also single gpu.
Score
August 8, 2011 2:15:03 AM

First, the temperatures are perfectly safe, if it goes too much abouve 62C it's a problem...
I recommend getting a cheap(er) tower heatsink for it. I use the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus (with arctic silver 5) on my 4GHz i7-930 (which have a higher temperature tolerance from what I've read) and I never pass 60C on Bad Company 2 with Hyperthreading off (reaches 66C with hyperthreading on). The Hyper 212+ is like $30-40 (or maybe less!) on Newegg.com you can also search for other ones at that price point if you want to on newegg
Score
Related resources
August 8, 2011 2:18:33 AM

mkchampion14 said:
First, the temperatures are perfectly safe, if it goes too much abouve 62C it's a problem...
I recommend getting a cheap(er) tower heatsink for it. I use the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus (with arctic silver 5) on my 4GHz i7-930 (which have a higher temperature tolerance from what I've read) and I never pass 60C on Bad Company 2 with Hyperthreading off (reaches 66C with hyperthreading on). The Hyper 212+ is like $30-40 (or maybe less!) on Newegg.com you can also search for other ones at that price point if you want to on newegg

i do have an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler lying around. I haven't installed it because I have the options of venting hot cpu air into my psu or gpu. Well, temps go up if I close my case. They start hovering around 58C during gaming.
Score
August 8, 2011 11:33:45 AM

I'm also using a 965BE and those temperatures are fine. Mine idles at 40C right now, probably because I need to clear the dust off the side case fan, but its in no danger of damage.
Score
August 8, 2011 12:03:17 PM

temps are good there mate
Score
August 8, 2011 1:39:46 PM

Quote:
thats a great cooler, why dont you mount it so it is blowing air out of the back of your case? 6.1K is pretty damn loud.

Because of the position of my motherboard, i only have the choice of mounting the freezer pro to blow the air up towards my psu (top of the case is sealed) or downwards to my video card
Score
August 8, 2011 1:49:00 PM

Quote:
why not put it blowing upwards, into your PSU and the PSU as an exaust pulling air out of the case?

I am willing to mount it upwards as long as I don't shorten or terminate the psu's lifespan from the heat.
Score
August 8, 2011 1:52:07 PM

Best answer selected by pocketdexter.
Score
August 8, 2011 1:53:45 PM

Quote:
nope with your PSU there shouldn't be any problems, especially since your PSU isn't under any real load.

Alright then, I will install the cooler and have it vent hot air through the psu. I am going to go buy some ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4 4 gram (g) All-Around Thermal Compound unless you can recommend a top tier paste for me.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2011 2:38:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!