Sign in with
Your question

Black Screen of Death, Please Read, Help!

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2011 12:46:45 PM

Hello,
I'm currently having an issue with my custom built PC. Been using this same build for about 18 months and all of sudden I'm getting the black screen of death. The PC always blacks out whenever a game is played (within 1-5 min of playing depending on the game). I have tried changing out different graphics cards (both do the same thing), tried taking out sticks of ram (still didn't work), tried reseating the cpu, reseated the gpu and cleaned it out, even cleaned out the PSU of all the excess dirt it had inside and even did a complete reinstall of windows. Nothing worked. I'm completely confused as to what's causing this issue. Here are my following specs :

MSI 770-C45 Motherboard

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition CPU with stock fan

Samsung 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ hard drive

MSI nvidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB video card

PNY Gold Series 4 x 1 GB OCZ DDR3 PC3 10666 Ram

OCZ700SXS 700 Watt PSU (has four 12v rails at 18A each at 675W)

HP DVD260 DVD-RW/CD-RW drive + Asus Blu-Ray Drive (both SATA)

CPU is running at 39C idle and 50C on full load. GPU is running 41C idle up to 65C full load with fan speed manually set to 60%. Running Windows 7 Ultimate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2011 1:11:16 PM

Run a prime test to see if your CPU can handle the load. If it can't then is suggests your PSU is causing an instability. Have you got another suitable PSU you can borrow from someone to see if you see the same issues?

I'm assuming you haven't make any software or bios changes recently?
m
l
May 11, 2011 1:17:19 PM

I updated the bios recently but it was having the problem before that. Reinstalling Windows was my only recent software change.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2011 2:53:46 PM

Ok if it was already happening before those changes then they clearly aren't involved!

I'd go ahead and start on trying to cause a similar issue using Prime95. If you are unsure how this will walk you through the steps.
m
l
May 11, 2011 11:24:15 PM

Did all 3 stress tests on latest version of Prime95 and all passed. Is it possible it's a windows setting or power setting that is making my PC go black screen and not respond? Starting to wonder if it's the PCI Express slot or the power supply. Some people suggested on forums that it's a hard drive issue but I don't think that's the case. Or maybe a video card driver issue?
m
l
May 19, 2011 12:13:34 AM

Found out it was the power supply. Seems the dedicated pci express rails have gone out. I changed PSUs and it works perfectly now. Thank god it was just that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 19, 2011 8:27:28 AM

Sorry I missed your previous post.

Glad you got it sorted.
m
l
!