New build on i5 2500k

Hi, I've decided on a cpu i5 2500k and wanted you guys' expert recommendations on what to build around it.

Which mobo, PS and video card would you guys recommend? Semi gaming but mostly graphic work.

Any help would be appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
13 answers Last reply
More about build 2500k
  1. We can more effectively help you if we have more information. Please fill out this form: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice :)
  2. Ok, I'll try to answer as best as I can

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks

Budget Range: + or - 600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Some minor graphic design, admin work, some gaming, internet, watching internet streaming

Parts Not Required: HDD, Ram, Sound card, keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, micro center

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: CPU is Intel and everything else doesn't really matter as long as they're reliable.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: unsure
  3. Well at $600, a 2500k build is not going to happen. It sounds like you don't need a 2500k though....
    I also notice that you have not listed a monitor or OS in the Parts not required section. Does this mean you need a monitor and OS also? On this budget, it's going to be extremely hard to put together a Sandy Bridge (or any build for that matter) if you need an OS and monitor.
  4. AH ok, I don't need a OS or a monitor. Sorry about that

For $600 I'm looking to put together cpu, mobo, PS and video card.
  5. In that case, check out this build:

Intel i3-2100 3.1Ghz

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD

Coolermaster HAF 912

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme

Corsair CX 500w Power Supply

G.Skill 4GB 2x2 1600MHz ram

ASRock h61/LGA 1155 micro ATX motherboard

That brings the price to around $620, but we can drop the price a bit if you don't think you will be gaming hardcore.
  6. Well I don't need HDD, case and ram.
  7. Could you list the ram you have as well as the HDD? if the computer is an older one, chances are it's no longer compatible. If you want the price dropped, you can substitute either of these cards:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=5770-_-14-102-873-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-871-_-Product
    Obviously they won't be as good as the 5850, but they will still game just fine.
  8. I have WD caviar 1TB and G.Skill 2x4GB
  9. Ahh. make sure the hard drive is sata. Also make sure the ram is DDR3.
  10. yes they are
  11. Well then simply drop the ram and HDD from my build and there you go!
  12. Well I'm trying to build on the i5 2500k, not i3 2100. I am looking for recommendations on what would fit best on the cpu I chose, in terms of mobo and PS rating.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Intel i5 New Build Systems Product