Closed

New Nvidia 560 Ti running worse than old 9800

I just bought a new video card, installed it, installed drivers. My old card was an evga Nvidia 9800 GTX+, I just purchased an ASUS GTX560 TI Direct CUII

Went to test it in a game I have been playing recently, Bulletstorm, and even without changing the settings this card is choking on the game. I am getting 10-20 fps. I was playing this game without issue before on a 2 year old card.

I understand my CPU or power could bottleneck, but shouldn't I get at least as good performance out of this card? What's going on
66 answers Last reply
More about nvidia running worse 9800
  1. Plz list your full system specs.(power supply,CPU,RAM,etc.)
  2. Agree with purple. Also, wipe all the old drivers before installing new ones.
  3. maybe your CPU holding your card back. something similar happen to me as well. i got worse performance in some games with my brand new GTX460 compared to my old GTS250. first i thought there was something wrong with the card but when running 3dmark vantage my score are pretty much the same as one shown in the review. so i overclocked my E7500 to 3.6ghz and i got much better performance.
  4. PSU is 500w
    CPU is E 8400 dual core, 3.0ghz
    6gb of Ram

Even if the CPU was holding it back, it should at least be doing as well as my old card. It is doing MUCH worse.
  5. OH, and I re-did graphics drivers after clean install, no improvement.
  6. Power draw on the GTX560 is probably higher then the 9800GTX. Not all 500W PSUs are the same and if yours is lacking in 12V power the GTX560 will change its clocks so that it can run in the power provided.
  7. Again, I feel like if other hardware in my computer is the problem, I should at least be getting the same performance. Am I to believe the 9800 was more power effecient than the 560 ti?

That doesn't make any sense.
  8. have you tried to overclock your cpu yet?
  9. Look, I am not changing any other hardware.

My computer was running games at a very playable level. I installed a new video card, installed the drivers, and now I cannot run them at even half as good framerate.

This is either a problem with the DRIVER, or the VIDEO CARD. It is not a problem with my cpu, my psu, my ram, or anything else, unless a 2 year old card is more power/resource efficient than a brand new card.

I do not believe Nvidia's new cards are LESS efficient than their old ones.
  10. Here is the 3dmark benchmark result

3DMark ScoreP3838
    Graphics score4529
    Physics Score2702
    Combined Score2536
    GraphicsTest121.1 FPS
    GraphicsTest221.75 FPS
    GraphicsTest327.5 FPS
    GraphicsTest413.63 FPS
    PhysicsTest8.58 FPS
    CombinedTest11.8 FPS
  11. i think i know what the problem is.... on your gts 250 the game was running on DX9 but now on your 560 its running on DX11.
    or maybe it is your psu
  12. I guess that is one difference, but damn. If that really is the case, then a four generation old card is going to outperorm Nvidia's new card in game.

I really hope its something else. This is getting me down.
  13. tyrsius said:
    Look, I am not changing any other hardware.

My computer was running games at a very playable level. I installed a new video card, installed the drivers, and now I cannot run them at even half as good framerate.

This is either a problem with the DRIVER, or the VIDEO CARD. It is not a problem with my cpu, my psu, my ram, or anything else, unless a 2 year old card is more power/resource efficient than a brand new card.

I do not believe Nvidia's new cards are LESS efficient than their old ones.

i understand that. even with bottleneck you should see increase in performance with GTX560 compared to your 9800GTX+. before i got my GTX460 i'm using GTS250. after installing the new card i've seen noticeable performance decrease in one of my game, Batman AA. normally i got 50+ or solid 60FPS (because i use v-sync) when playing the game but with the new card i got 40s when in heavy fights. i'd run some 3dmark vantage and i got scoce comparable to the one in the reviews which means my card should perform as it is. first i thought it was a driver problem but after using different drivers the problem still there. in the end i'd tried to overclock my cpu to 3.6ghz and viola, i got what i used to get in Batman AA (note that i played the game with v-sync enabled so i'd never see frame rates above 60). to me overclocking the cpu solved my problem. well at least it did for me. but honestly i do think that nvidia's fermi is a bit weird.

Anonymous said:
    i think i know what the problem is.... on your gts 250 the game was running on DX9 but now on your 560 its running on DX11.
    or maybe it is your psu

are you referring to me? the game that i have problem with does not offer dx10 or dx11.

btw bulletstorm is DX9 only title so dx11 is not the factor here. i think i'm getting around mid 40s and sometime in the 50s when i play the game with my GTX460 (in game setting max, no AA, no v-sync).
  14. i dont think that your 560TI is on the blame.
    i got my GTX460 on C2D E4400 2.0Ghz slowing down when playing my game but when i changed the CPU into Core i5 2400, the game was much faster to be played..

i guess you should change the CPU (at least) if you want to supply your GPU with decent performance..
  15. sounds like an insufficient psu problem imo, furthermore, your cpu is holding you back in certain scenarios but in general is a decent dual core, just depends on what games you are playing where in most any situation a healthy quad is more favorable than an lga775
  16. Let me try to explain myself a bit better. Its not a matter of efficiency. If you have a poor PSU that can only do 250W on the 12V rail you might have issue. You use 100W for the CPU, leaving your GPU 150W. If your 9800GTX used 150W, then all is good. But if your GTX560 uses 200W, it will downclock itself to the 150W that it has. And yes, its possible that at the same 150W limit the 9800GTX will perform better then a downclocked GTX560.

I have no idea if this is the case as you won't give system details. If you think its the card then RMA and try again.
  17. I will say it is your psu is too low of watts. I used a psu calculator and from what spec you listed it recommended that you need 527 watts for all your components. It.s not that the new card is not efficient but the fact is it way more powerful than your old card. More power = more watts being used. I would get like a 750 watt psu for future upgrades. Good luck.
  18. I posted the PSU incorrectly, it is a 550. So it shouldn't be a problem.
  19. PSU brand?
  20. Antec
    TruePower Trio tp3 550
  21. previous benchmark post was formatted badly.

Here is a readable 3dmark result http://3dmark.com/3dm11/771196
  22. You shouldn't have any problems with your PSU,it is most likely your CPU.The card is to much of new technology that it works in many different way than your old 9800gt.It's processing data so fast that your computer can't keep up with it and it bogs the GPU down as a result.Get a faster/newer computer or O.C. your current one past 3.4ghz.
  23. ^+1 get a new cpu or overclock, overall I'd say its time for an upgrade...
  24. This still doesn't seem right to me. Even if the CPU is bottlenecking, it should not make the new card run WORSE than the old card.

It should bottleneck at least AS GOOD as the 9800.

Also, I cannot afford to get a new cpu, as the mobo and ram would also need to be upgraded with it.
  25. Well the only other option can be
    try re-sitting the card and make sure to place it in the pcie x16 slot instead of x8
  26. Board only has the one PCI_E.

The new card is sitting in the same slot the old card was sitting in.

If this isn't driver or setting related, I really don't get it. Even if its being held back by the system, it should do at least as good as the 9800 did.

The new card has all the same resources the old card did. Same CPU, same RAM, same PSU, same mobo (same mobo slot), same operating system. This doesn't make sense.
  27. the other problem could be the psu... (which sounds ample) however if it is somehow faulty then it could be up to spec but still causing a problem, can you try another psu or try your gtx 560 in another pc to see if it is functional?
  28. tyrsius said:
    This still doesn't seem right to me. Even if the CPU is bottlenecking, it should not make the new card run WORSE than the old card.

It should bottleneck at least AS GOOD as the 9800.

Also, I cannot afford to get a new cpu, as the mobo and ram would also need to be upgraded with it.

yes it doesn't seem right. but it happen to me. my GTX460 run worse than my GTS250 with my E7500 at stock clock (2.93Ghz). after overclocking my processor the problem gone. at least that's how it works for me. that is why i said try to OC your CPU first to see the performance difference. btw did you play crysis or any other games that very gpu intensive as well?
  29. The GTX560 will do worse than your 9800GT because it's sending more info and your proccessor can't keep up with it.The 9800GT is only doing about 1/3 of what the GTX560 can do.It's plain and simple,your processor can't keep up with how fast the GTX560 is.Which is why it looks worse than the 9800GT.

Do you know how to O.C.?Are you planning on O.C.ing?
    Do you just want to get a new processor?
  30. its very odd that people are having lower performance with these newer cards until they overclock their cpu. i agree with the op in this regard, you should at least see the same performance...unless.... the new range of cards are letting the cpu do more work than the new ones. if that is true that is pretty gay since the gpu is supposed to do more work, not the cpu. i wonder if it is the same with AMD cards. I assume not since there are plenty of core2 duo owners and athlon owners running amd/ati cards without issue. An e8500 should have plenty to drive one of those cards without fps loss. - try this, crank up the AA and resolution if you can to make the gpu do more work.
  31. If done carefully,an OC to 3.5Ghz on that cpu won't be a problem.
    For information on how to OC you can ask in our Overclocking forum or type intel e8400 OC on youtube and get several video demos.
  32. There is a Tom's how-to on overclocking the E8500 -- you should be able to find it if you search for "overclocking your core 2 duo" in articles.
  33. I'm not convinced its a CPU issue. As the op said and I agree, it shouldn't run worse then the 9800GTX. It wouldn't appear to be a PSU issue either unless the one he has is going bad. Driver? Try running driver sweeper and see if it improves? I'd also double check that the settings are 100% the same. I could easily see the games detecting the better card and increasing the settings.
  34. Bulletstorm is an okay game but not a whole lots demanding.I can get a steady 50FPS with my 6870.I'm sure his GTX560 could manage 60FPS but his slow dual core is what's holding it back.
  35. The 3DMark 11 bench results look pretty much right, maybe just a tad low but not abnormal.

Have you tried running Bulletstorm at the EXACT settings you used on the 9800? What happens if you lower the settings? If the FPS doesn't change then it sounds like a bandwidth issue, but if FPS does go up with lower settings then its apparently just too demanding at whatever settings you're using. It would be good to check your CPU usage as well during gameplay.
  36. yeah upgrade or overclock your cpu, these are your options imo...
  37. It's an Antec PSU so i think we can cross out that playing a factor in it.

Whats the make/model of your mobo?
  38. there are some people who have had issues with these cards not increasing the clock speed from the idle clocks. get msi afterburner and check that. There was even a case recently where someone overclocked it by only a few mhz and all of a sudden performance skyrocketed. check for a bios update for the card also.
  39. have you changed your game settings? aa on and aa off = big change
  40. I agree with iam2thecrowe, that auto tune software that AMD includes in their cards that underclocks might be the problem.
  41. I guess I need to apologize to everyone who correctly fingered the PSU. I went to a freinds house to swap hardware around to try to find the point of failure. He has a 650w PSU with 12v rails at 25a each. My 12v are 18E. The card says it requires 38A, which I though my card was delivering, however when running my friends psu into my computer the card ran amazingly.

I still don't understand why my psu was able to get better performance out of an older card at the max power it could deliver, as in my head I imagine the new 560 is more power efficient, so it should do more with the same amount of power.

I guess I need to do more reading on how PSU's work under load. In any case, thanks for your help guys. I will be buying a new Antec 650 today.
  42. nice well at least a psu problem is an easy fix, 18 amps is not going to cut it, go for a single 12v rail if you can...
  43. GTX560 is more than twice the power than the 9800GT.Yes it is more power effiecent than the older cards but it is much faster,so it requires more power.

So the problem was the PSU the whole time.You have any plans on replacing it?I'm sure we could give you some suggestions on what to get.Whats your budget?
  44. yeah he basically singled out the psu as a problem when he tried his gpu on a friends machine with an ample psu
  45. How many AMPS does your PSU have in total? 18 on how many rails?
  46. Both the 9800 and the 560 have Two 12v molex connections on the card.

My old PSU was an antec 550w, the 12v cables were 18A each. This doesn't meet the minimum 38A, but I had failed to read that on the box after seeing "Minimum 550w" and moving to the next line. This is 100% my fault.

My friends power supply is an Antec 650W, the 12v cables are 25A each. This should add up to 50A, which meets the 38A minimum. When I used this psu in my computer, the card ran perfectly.

I plan on buying basically the same PSU.

@jjb8675309: Cannot use a single cable, the 560 (as well as the 9800) use two cables. Also, I do not know of a PSU with a 12v cable rated at 38A.
  47. Get this one.Antec 550watt with 69amps over 3 rails.And it's Modular

Antec 550watt
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Of course i think it would be best to go bigger since you are buying a new one and it's better to plan ahead for a SLI setup in the future.

Antec 650watt
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021
  48. no no a single rail not a single cable, for example I have this XFX psu which provides 4 pci-e connections and runs off a single 12v rail that provides 52 amps, 2 rails with 25amps each will work I just like single rails... do you understand?? bc im def not seriously advising you on getting a psu with a single pci-e connection...

here is the psu I have, its a great unit and actually made by seasonic, also, single 12v rail and modular cables, its also extremely quiet and not a bad deal after rebate, although the antec will suffice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002&cm_re=xfx_650-_-17-207-002-_-Product
  49. I missed out of those back when they were on special/clearance.
    Really?They are made by Seasonic?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Nvidia Graphics Product