Asus crosshair V and pci-e 2.1

dontpanic42

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Most of the video cards out there are PCI-E 2.1 and I'm fairly certain it's backwards compatible but I wanted the community opinion on What I should do. Main reason I ask is I know amd motherboards as far as I know don't have pci-e 2.1 or 3.0 I just wanted to check to see if I have to get a 2.0 or if 2.1 is safe to get without it having issues

Reason I'm asking is because one of my video cards suddenly is now "disabled" as per the CCC and checked the bios and it's running at 2x instead of 16x which confused the hell out of me, I haven't had time due to life issues to try to figure out which card is failing or if it's a fault with the board.... it was running perfectly fine up until about a week ago, and have had the board since december. I've been wanting to get a new video card anyway but not sure what to get. been using ati because these cards are from my old crosshair III but now it supports SLI and have been thinking about a GTX card, and was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion either ati or nvidia

Thanks for your help!

dontpanic42

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Since this post got lost in the never-ending sea of the forum world I was hoping someone would give me any help... At least with a recommendation for a good replacement gpu that's not terribly expensive.