Does Nvidia gtx 500 series have OpenGL issues like the 400 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmar

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello, this is my first time posting!

Okay let me set this up first. Im building my new computer, but Im stuck right now on video cards. I have decided that I will choose between an Nvidia Geforce gtx 560 (standard or Over-Clocked, not sure), and a HD Radeon 6950 2gb. Price wise they are pretty close (regular 560 is around $250, O.Cs are like $270, while the 6950 is around $300, but with the rebates its like $255-270). While Im a long time Nvidia user, I considering a Radeon partially due to the fact that my new computer will be AMD. The other reason is Nvidia related. The reason I never skipped over the gtx 400 series completely, was because I heard about them having major problems with OpenGL. This is what wikipedia says about this problem:

"It has been reported by users as well as developers [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] that nVidia 400-series cards have severe performance problems with 3D content-creation applications such as Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, Blender, Rhinoceros 3D—as well as some OpenGL games—to the extent that video cards two generations older routinely outperform 400-series in such applications and games. The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU. So far, one customer using an OpenGL based application got a response from nVidia support indicating that the behavior is expected in the GeForce 400 line of cards, and no software update will help improving the performance of the hardware.[21]. The problem can be worked around with a hack by using a CUDA memory copy to access the buffer object."

Now my question is this: Does the gtx 500 series suffer from this same problem too? Is it too early to tell yet? Or should the 500 series have no problems here (even though they share the same chip...I think)?

Because if that is the case, Id rather go with the radeon, and avoid these problems all together. My new computer will be a gaming rig, but not just for the latestest and greatest but for gmaes that are several years old, I really don't want to have a video card that peforms badly with them.

Any one have any answers? Im sure I will be happy with either card, though the 560 (the O.C.ed anyway) is supposed to be a little faster.

Solution
Since I've been reading up on this a lot over the past 24 hours:

The OpenGL problem you are referring to doesn't affect gaming very much at all; most games don't use the glReadPixel function, which is where the problem lies. The 5xx cards are superior for gaming purposes, but it appears that either a) there's a bug in the cards which is causing this issue and NVidia is being quiet about it, or b) they've purposely throttled the cards for non-gaming applications in order to increase sales of their Quadro cards, which use the same Fermi architecture but don't have the same OpenGL issue.

Edit: Saw you got answers in your other post, and the list of OpenGL using games is longer then I thought. Go figure!

gyrik_22

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Since I've been reading up on this a lot over the past 24 hours:

The OpenGL problem you are referring to doesn't affect gaming very much at all; most games don't use the glReadPixel function, which is where the problem lies. The 5xx cards are superior for gaming purposes, but it appears that either a) there's a bug in the cards which is causing this issue and NVidia is being quiet about it, or b) they've purposely throttled the cards for non-gaming applications in order to increase sales of their Quadro cards, which use the same Fermi architecture but don't have the same OpenGL issue.

Edit: Saw you got answers in your other post, and the list of OpenGL using games is longer then I thought. Go figure!

Solution

Sigmar

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Thank you for the helpful answer! Yes, this was my original post long ago, that no one answered, so I made a new one and recieved many responses, but in either case, your answer was helpful, and I appreciate it!

Sigmar

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

That "someone else" was me. As I stated in my my newer post, my first post got no responses, so I made a second post of the same exact thing. And Im glad I did, I got many responses that time around, including a few posts from you, Iam2thecrowe. So this has nothing to do with using the search function.

Also to any new responders, please use the other thread to post in (its the more recent one)

Status
Not open for further replies.