one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Please let a network god see this! I have my current home network set up with a netgear wpn824v3. I have everything set up for static ip addresses. My problem is that I currently have rdp set up for my android phone. it works wonderfully...as long as my home media server is on 24/7. I thought I would figure out how to remotely turn it on, and bring it up to power from sleep. I have gotten the power up part done perfectly over my 3g connection.

The problem I have run into is that while asleep my router loses the ip address...sort of hard to forward magic packets to an ip/mac the router basically has no idea exist.

I am new to networking and I am trying to increase my knowledge...but this one has me stumped. I have read about arp and subnet broadcasting (which is confusing in itself, god I need wol for dummies) I can not figure out how to try to get these two things to work with my router. If it can be done at all. I know that I can not go the arp route....but is there any way for me to use subnet broadcasting to wake the remote computer?

I see there have been no replies to other similar request...but I am out of options. It usually has to get pretty grim for me to be unable to find the answer in a forum somewhere after 2 hours. COME AND PLEASE HELP ME NETWORK GOD!

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
some things are not designed to be sent over the WAN - broadcast stuff like ARP etc, would be a mess. They are LAN protocols.

so the router has a lookup table that drops the IP of the server, while the server is asleep? How about using a DHCP reservation in the router for the server, rather than a static IP set in the server.