Sabertooth vs P8Z77 Deluxe (Features that matter)

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
So I've been putting a lot of thought into this, and I've settled on one of two choices for my next motherboard. I told myself I would be buying a P8Z68 Pro back in February, but I kept putting it back, and my crippled pre-build comp kept trucking along despite all odds, lol. It has been getting worse though (sometimes it won't wake up from sleep so I have to flick the switch in the back, and upon restarting it acts like I preformed a CMOS rest, with the date back to January 2010 and everything), AND Diablo III is right around the corner, so I need something that will support a big beefy graphics card (something my current motherboard certainly can't handle).

So, here are my final two options.

Z77 Sabertooth (250$)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821&Tpk=z77%20sabertooth

P8Z77-Deluxe (290$)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131818&Tpk=P8Z77%20Deluxe

Each have 5 star reviews and are loaded with features, but they aren't all a priority for me... For example the all those nick-nacks that help overclocking... not important in my opinion. I may try overclocking one day, but for now I just want a solid platform upon which to build my gaming computer. The Q-LED function is something I feel will really help when building, thankfully both of these seem to have it. Sata 3 and USB 3, each is covered on both boards, as well as lots of USB 2.0. The Deluxe has one feature that I really think I could use... WiFi Go. It looks like you can do a lot of interesting things with it like transfering files or even streaming media to another computer or a tablet (all without using the internet, from what I understand).

But... I really like the thermal shield on the Sabertooth, and the 5 year warranty on it is compelling. And... maybe I can get a PCIe card with a WiFi antenna and get the WiFi Go through that, but I don't know if it's possible. So what it comes down to: Does anyone know if the WiFi Go software will run on any Z77 Asus boards? Or is it really only those that come with the WiFi antenna pre-attached to the board? (Which the Sabertooth does not.)

This is my list:

Case, Lancool K63 (acquired)
PSU, LEPA 500 W 80+ Gold (acquired)
RAM, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2 x 2GB, 1333 MHz (acquired)
Boot Drive, Crucial m4 128 GB (acquired)
Storage Drive, Western Digital 2 TB Black (acquired)
Motherboard, [undecided]
CPU, Intel i5-3570K (not yet acquired)
OS, Windows 7 Home Premium (not yet acquired)

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Yes I've seen it... but when comparing it to the Deluxe (while the Pro does have WiFi Go) it loses the integrated bluetooth, the on-the-board power and reset switches, the LED indicators, and you go from 10 USB slots in the back to just 6. The USB is particularly big deal, to me it's just not enough.

When comparing it to the Sabertooth you lose 2 USBs, the thermal shield, and the thermal radar. Basically I would pay the same price but lose those 3 features that I would look forward to. Also I find the Pro wastes a bit of the rear I/O space by throwing 4 display options at us. I know that's good for flexibility and everything... but I'm quite happy with HDMI, I don't need 4 options (one of which is old VGA).

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I've just heard a lot of mixed opinions regarding MSI's and Gigabyte's UEFIs. From what I've found Asus has the highest satisfaction rate when it comes to that whole BIOS interface thing, which is kind of a big deal for me since this will be the first time I actually build a rig from the ground up. I've messed with hardware before, but I've never installed from a fresh OS. So I want a very easy UEFI to work with, and for that I think Asus's Q-LED will help a lot. If a problem pops it, it literally points out where on the board the problem is coming from. That's really... cool. At first I didn't think the Sabertooth had it (I mean... you'd think the big shield sitting on top of it would block all the LEDs) but no... they were smart and placed them all in places that would peak through the shield.

So whatever Asus I pick, it should come with Q-LED.

I'll re-phrase my original question because it may have been lost in my first post's long-winded-ness: Has anyone ever known Asus's WiFi Go! software to be able to run on boards that don't have the WiFi built in? Would it be able to run on a board like the Sabertooth if I added WiFi to it later on? Or... could I even ignore WiFi altogether and have those streaming and file-transfering features be worked through my router? I would really like to be able to wirelessly send files to my tablet and smartphone without having to pass through Dropbox and the internet (eats up bandwidth when I send large files).

Off topic, but here is a site listing all the Asus P8Z77 motherboards, and their features:

From HardwareSecrets.com: Asus P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard....

The things I don't like about the Sabertooth is the 8+4+2 power regulator, the Pro has 12+4. Now I don't know what that exactly means, I jusst know more is better.

As far as Wifi, I have a D-Link DIR-655 Wired/Wireless router, so I don't need, nor want WiFi mobo. If you see it's use, a router might be better/cheaper than a PCI Wireless card.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I think they have to do with how they regulate the power that goes into the CPU. More is better if you plan on overclocking or tweaking the voltage, that sort of thing. I'm not sure if there is any kind of static or surge protection offered from it for regular non-overclockers... All I know is they are basically fancy capacitor-type things that regulate the electricity before it goes into the CPU itself.

That's what I'm wondering. If I can get the benefits of the WiFi Go software with any old off-the-shelf WiFi card, I'll be happy with the Sabertooth, I just don't know if that's how it will work.

Thanks for the link anyway... doesn't offer Z77 Sabertooth yet, but it does have the Deluxe.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Yes in that list, but I meant in the actual list of full reviews.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/motherboard

I'm probably going to get the Saber... learn to live without WiFi Go. I'm sure there are ways of setting up a network or something so I can transfer files to my tablet wirelessly without using the internet. One way or another. With my luck when it comes to electronics... I really want that 5 year warranty.

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Saber's fine too, it was the one I was eying until I decided to go for a GTX680 and spend $100 more than I budgeted for a Graphics card. Saved a bit on the move to the V-Pro and it fits the colour scheme of my system better. :) Hope your Saber works out.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Finally got an answer... From JJ himself off a YouTube video commentary (he was doing an overview on NewEgg's channel).

No, currently wifi go is locked into the Broadcom and Atheros controller we are using on the boards that come equipped with Wireless. We are looking into extending support but at this time this is not an option. Thanks for the view and support.

THAT's all I wanted to know! lol. Also, what the hell? I can't select my own post as the best answer? So... this thread will remain un-concluded until the end of time? I find I should be able to in case someone searches this topic in the future, they can find my thread and see that I have found my answer.