a HDMI monitor cannot connect to a DVI graphics port on the computer

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

Thanx for your prompt reply
I have tried adaptors to no avail,and have since been reliably told that one cannot connect DVI (computer) to HDMI (monitor) but can connect HDMI (computer) to DVI (monitor)> Is there a way round this?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
HDMI and DVI should both be interchangeable, both ways... Hmm...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3526549&filterName=Brand&filterValue=AUVIO
Have you tried something like that? It doesn't have to be that exact brand if you don't want to pay $40 for a cable, but something similar should work... I'd get something cheap to try, but if that doesn't work, then I really don't know how else to help you. There really shouldn't be much difference between an HDMI-DVI Cable and an HDMI cable with a DVI adapter, though...

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

Thanx for your reply
I have tried adapters to no avail.
Note what I read on the internet :-
"One of the most important features included with the HDMI standard is the ability for it to be used with DVI connectors. Through the use of an adapter cable, an HDMI plug can be attached to a DVI monitor port for the video signal. This is a very useful feature for those that do purchase a system with an HDMI compliant video output but their television or computer monitor only has a DVI input. It should be noted that this only uses the video portion of the HDMI cable so no audio can be used with it. In addition, while a monitor with a DVI connector can connect to a HDMI graphics port on the computer, a HDMI monitor cannot connect to a DVI graphics port on the computer"