Which PSU? (how many watts?)

G

Hi guys.

You've got to help me out. I've posted this on several other forums, and asked many other people, and everyone gives me a different answer on which PSU to get.

On some forums the general consensus is only 450W (and then saying it's more than enough), on other forums they laugh at me for suggesting anything less than 650W...

Gotta say the people that recommend less are on the more tech-savvy forums though, but I'll see what you guys suggest :)

The system:

Cooler Master CM 690 II
Asrock P67 Extreme4
Intel Core i5 2500K Boxed
Sapphire HD6950 Dirt3 Edition (2GB)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ, 1TB
Crucial m4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8G
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B

+ Old 250 HDD, DVD writer, 'bout 3 fans.

I'm planning to use this system for at least 4-5 years, without upgrading too much. Crossfire doesn't interest me (and isn't possible on this motherboard anyway) so that shouldn't be a problem.

What do you guys suggest? :)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-6950-6970-review/11
"One 6950"
System in IDLE = 174W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 312W

Shows a system with an i7-965, which is much more power hungry than any Sandy Bridge CPU using 312W at the wall. Take 10-20% off 312 to get their actual system power draw and I think you have a somewhat realistic worst case for your own system's maximum power consumption. Depending on what programs you run I would think your typical consumption would be much lower.

A ~280W load only stresses a 450W PSU to ~63%. So as long as you have a high quality PSU, operating in temps below its temperature rating then you shouldn't have any problems.

G

I'm looking at the 'OCZ StealthXstream 2 600W PSU' now and found the following:

Connectors
20+4-pin ATX
4+4-pin CPU
6-pin PCI-E
6+2-pin PCI-E
5 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy
3 x SATA

I hope I'm mistaking, but I'd be installing two HDD's, an SSD and a DVD-drive. That means I'd need 4x SATA, no?

G

That's quite expensive though (as in too expensive :( )

Narrowed it down to 2 PSU's now.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

and

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W

First one is modular, but I can't really decide yet.

Yes you would need four SATA connectors.

Where are you buying from? Usually there are better options than both available.

The cables are quite short on the ModXStream Pro series.