Bios detects 8gb RAM CPUZ detects 16gb

forsi

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hi

i bought a new pc 2 weeks ago all is working fine but my RAMs make me some problems...

I bought 2x8 GB corsair Vengeance ram my bios detects only 8gb. CPUZ detects 16 GB ram

i tryt the rams in all combinations they all 4 are working. also all 4 slots of the mainboard are working.

i tryt to increase the voltage in bios didnt work either

bios is the newst version

i know thr 2500k can only do 1333mhz rams.. in bios it detects as 1333 ram hope thats not the problem..

so here are my specs:

Asrock Z77 extreme 4
i5 2500k
corsair vengeance 2x8 GB kit 1600 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)

iam running it with 8GB since 2 weeks and have no problems. no crashes at all.

maybe someone have a good advice

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
You've done all the correct troubleshooting, so this is a little odd. However, you shouldn't increase the voltage (hopefully you've moved it back to 1.5v).

My next question may sound a little odd, because you said BIOS is reporting 8GB
- What version of Windows are you running?

Reason I say that is because CPUz is giving you the BIOS reading. Are you sure that it's not BIOS and actually Windows that is reporting 8GB?

As for 1333 vs 1600, that's because 1333 is the last JEDEC Standard speed. Anything above that is overclocking. You should be able to safely get the RAM to 1600 by increasing it in the BIOS (without increasing voltage). But I personally would just leave it at 1333.
Regardless, this will not fix the 8GB vs 16GB issue.

xtreme5

Distinguished
this is 4th time i'm seeing issue with CPUZ, cpuz not always accurate sometime it get disturb trust always in bios cause thats the main thing and also right click on my computer see what it is showing if it is shoiwng 8gb then so follow these steps:
1:click on start and select "run"
2:type msconfig hit enter
3:now select BOOT.ini >> then advance and tick the first box and increase the memory to its maximum value.

hope this will help...

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Actually, that is why I'm asking for more information. You should NEVER need to go into your BOOT.INI file for a RAM upgrade. Sorry mate, this is bad advice - at least at this stage in the thread. More information is needed before something that drastic is used.

I'm also asking for clarification in what he's reporting, because he could be misusing terms. The more common problem (which isn't actually a problem) is that he's using Windows Home - which has a limit of 8GB.
Further, if he is using the right terms, and his BIOS is reporting 8GB, changing the BOOT.INI file will have zero affect (except possibly crash his system).

While I don't always trust CPUz, I have used it quite reliably for 6 or 7yrs, and only rarely does it mis-report information.

Regardless, I don't think editing the BOOT.INI is the right thing to do here.

xtreme5

Distinguished

good experience!!

forsi

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Hello psaus

i run atm windows 7 proffesional SP1.

i checkt msconfig allready sometimes ago wasnt the problem. windows 7 shows me 8GB ram... not 8GB ram (8GB unused)

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I would suggest clearing your CMOS properly (unplugging from the wall, etc). And try again (some setting in the BIOS will need to be reconfigured).

If this still fails to work, I'd start using memtest86. You could start with all 4 modules (but if memtest only sees 8GB, then stop the test).
Ideally you will want to run memtest on the modules individually. But you can shorten the testing time by starting in pairs. Memtest needs to run for more than one pass... it can take several hours and a few passes before you can stop it (if after a few passes there are no errors, then move on to the next module/kit). If you do get errors on any module, that is likely a culprit module.

I know you said you installed each of the modules individually and booted Windows; this can happen yet the module still be bad.

Start by clearing the CMOS first though, you might be surprised. Additionally, just double/triple check that the modules are seated well (in my 10yrs of working for a DRAM mfg, I can't count how many times I have heard of modules not being seated 100% - I've even done it as recently as 2mo ago. Just pull them out, and reinsert. Just in case. :) )

forsi

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Hiya

thx alot for taking time to help me :)

i will try now if cmos reset helps didnt tryt that-

and i will check the rams again is they seatet good

yeah as final test i will do memtest... :( maybe i just ship the rams back and geht new ones... i can still send them back i think.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
If the RMA is quick and easy for you, that is always an option. But there's no guarantee that's the problem at this point. But I do understand (and I have done an RMA instead of waiting for memtest :whistle: )

Definitely do the CMOS reset tho. That's quick and easy, and a very worthy troubleshoot step. As well as the reseating. I don't know why this day and age they can't make them seat better, but as I said before I even struggle with them every once in a while (I install memory 2 - 10x a week for the last 10yrs :pt1cable: )

Fingers crossed it's one of the simpler solutions for you... good luck, and keep us posted.

neilstryker

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I have a similar problem. I have an MSI X-58 mobo (platinum iirc.)
When I first built the machine, bios and windows would only see 4 of the 6 gb I installed when I put them in 1,3,5 or 2,3,6. When I put them in 1,3 and 4 I was fine, but obviously without triple channel.

I didn't care that much back then, so I let it be. Today I just bought 12 gigs more, kinda forgetting about my ram issues. I reseated everything in 1,3,5 for the 6gb and 2,4,6 for the 12 gb. POST shows 12 gb (wtf?)

So I went into bios and checked: It sees all 6 sticks if i check individually! Just for the hell of it I swapped ram positions to see what would happen: POST still shows 12 gb! So I thought, maybe I made some mistake - that my mobo only supports 12. NOPE, supports 24.

Just ran CPU-Z and it shows all 18 like it should. So now I'm lost.