leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Thanks for the help so far, guys. I had a case thread previously and was advised to make a new build thread, so figured I would go ahead and do that, doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I honestly don't want to go through the hassle of building the rig myself. I'm working 45 to 50 hours a week right now and trying to spend time with my friends (gaming which is where the new PC comes in), family and girlfriend after work, the free time I do have I don't want to spend on the build, I want to play with the build after it is done. As a result of this and as previously stated in my other thread, I am looking at boutique builders to get the build done with the main candidate being CyberPower/ibuypower at the moment. But, for the record, here is a rough idea of what I was looking at build wise:

Processor wise, I know I'm going to go with the Sandybridge 2600k. Motherboard I'm not quite as sure on. I want to get something that is USB 3.0 & SATAIII compatible. I'm looking at 6-8GB of RAM at least, ibuypower has 1600 speed RAM for the same price as the 1333, which I thought was good since I wanted to go at least 1600. As far as hard drives go, I'm considering a solid state for loading the OS & maybe putting a few other things on and then a SATAIII storage drive. Again, ibuypower has pretty good pricing on a 96GB SSD and a 750GB SATAIII storage drive. I already have a 1TB external, so I am definitely good on the storage. The main questions I have about my build as a whole are:

1: Case...still not really sure what to do here. If you guys say that the mid towers will fit most cards then I may be willing to drop back down to a mid tower case, on the other hand I'm hesitant to do so because the "what if?" of video card size reaching up to that 5970 range again.
2: Power Supply...For everything I'm getting I think I will need at least a 750 to 1k watt PSU. I am not as familiar brand name wise with PSUs, and could really use some help here.
3: Motherboard...I'm thinking the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 model since it has the USB3.0 & SATAIII support I'm looking for, as well as supporting up to a 3-way crossfire if I decide to go that route in the future, but I'm open for suggestions.

I know this is not going to be a cheap build and tower alone expect to spend 1500-2k, possibly a little more. I'm also probably going to be springing for a Dell Ultrasharp monitor, or possibly an Apple Cinema Display to pair with this (though I am open to monitor suggestions as well.) This is my last big splurge before I start doing a big push to get together money to buy a home, so I want it to be something that I can swap new parts in as time goes by and make this last as long as possible.

Again, thanks for the help you guys have provided.

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Yeah, originally I was looking at the Level 10, but as I was saying in the other thread, I'm not sure that it is worth it after reading more about it. I am currently interested in the HAF case. I also know that Cyberpower/ibuypower offer water cooling options as well, and was wondering on that, since I have never messed with liquid cooling at all, how easy is it to work around if I want to switch parts out? Should I stick with a traditional fan based cooling system instead? Thanks again for the advice, guys.

This only has 2x sli. I included a haf 932 as you had mentioned it. Personally I don't like the look but I'm not the one buying it. It's a good case though. If this is only for gaming, you could save $100 with the i5 as hyperthreading really doesn't affect games.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1-Pack - OEM
OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
CORSAIR Flash Voyager 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model CMFUSB2.0-8GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
TOTAL: $1,827.22 Shipping Included. Before MIR.

Cyberpower/Ibuypower came out around $250 more as they have a $75 shipping cost.

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Thanks for the recommendations. Skull, I'm not really sure about the totalpowerpc site. I like a few of the computers, but there are certain things (like the inclusion of a Blu Ray drive) which I don't feel are necessary and are driving the cost up a bit more. I'd be more comfortable with a site with a robust configuration tool (like Dell, Hp, Alienware, ibuypower, etc.) for trying to get as close to what I need as possible.

k11114, why did you opt for the 3.0Gb/s and not the 6.0Gb/s 1TB drive in your suggestion? Wouldn't a 6.0Gb/s model take better advantage of the faster loading that the SSD is going to provide? Also, after reading more in some other build threads, do you think I'm better sticking with the 560 Tis or going with a single 6950 and then dropping in another 6950 a year or so down the line?

Thanks again for the help, guys.

560 and 6950s are nearly the same performance, its really your decision on which company to get. But the 6950 do average a little more fps and scale a little better in cf. If you want to go with 1 or 2 cards now really depend on what games you play and the resolution.

Sata 2 or 3 doesn't matter on a mechanical hdd as the extra cost is not a difference in performance. Which sata the hdd uses has nothing to do with ssd. You have sata 3 on the mobo that the ssd will take advantage of. Since you have an ssd the hdd would only be for storage so the speed really doesn't matter anyways.

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
On the subject of the motherboard, it was recently brought to my attention that the Asus Maximus IV Extreme RoG Ed. has more PCI-E inputs and also supports more USB 3.0 connections than the Gigabyte boards I was looking at originally, but I haven't really seen anything about that Asus board. Does anyone know if it's a good board or worth the extra money?

Thanks again for the help, guys. With your suggestions I'm seriously narrowing down the last few help areas I had on this computer and should be ready to order by the end of the week, early next week at the latest.

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I understand the i5-2500k may be better for gaming now, but again, I'm looking toward the future. With the i7-2600k having higher clock speeds, is it not a bit more future proof than the 2500k is? I've changed out PSU, cards, RAM, drives, etc. in a computer but I've never tried switching processors, so I want something there that I don't have to worry about for a while.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Unless you do heavy digital editing, the 2600k's extra $100 is money down the drain. The extra 100MHz won't be noticed. Getting a 2500k frees up money that can be used elsewhere.

As for that ASUS ROG board, it's geared towards hardcore overclockers like Skullcrusher :sarcastic: . USB 3.0 is only supported on external hard drives so unless you have more than 4, it's a waste. If you find you need more later, get a PCI-e add in card. Something like an Asus P8P67 Pro/Gigabyte P67A-UD4/MSI P67A-GD65 would be perfect for you.

On a $2000 budget, I would spend $1400 on the computer and $600 on a three-monitor setup for Eyefinity gaming :sol:

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Resolution will depend on the new monitor. Like I said, I was looking into Ultrasharp or an Apple Cinema (don't have the room for a 3 monitor set up at this time.) As far as the games go, currently my girlfriend plays WoW (not really that intensive graphically), I'm playing a bit of Dragon Age II (again, not much graphically) and will definitely be getting Skyrim & Old Republic when those come out. I also might be getting FarCry 2 to put the system through its paces.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Alright, I think you guys have convinced me on most of the stuff. I have everything picked out and the only thing I have left to decide on is a case. After reading some suggestion, I feel more comfortable going with a mid tower case, but I am not sure what mid tower case to go with. After shopping around with boutique builders, I think cyberpower is where I am going to wind up building the computer. If you guys would take a look at the mid tower cases and give me a final suggestion I think I will be ready to go with this.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I honestly don't care about look. I'm not going for a bunch of flashing lights and stuff I just want whatever they have that performs the best. I prefer a minimalist look, myself, but performance is most important.

leveljumper

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Currently leaning toward

CM 690 Case
i5-2500k processor
Thermaltake FRIO OCK Cooler (didn't see any of the other coolers you guys mentioned, this one got the best reviews that I could find)
GigaByte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 570 Ti (free upgrade from the 2GB 560)
Corsair CMPSU-850TX Power Supply
96 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
1.5TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

That's the gist of it. Figured I would go with the single 570 for now and drop another one in a year or two down the line if I need it. After the 5% off instant coupon code (which basically means free ground shipping) the total is $1596.90 for the tower. After looking around though, I'm not as sure about the monitor anymore. I definitely want something in the 24-30" range and it seems like some of the newer monitors may have surpassed the Ultrasharp I was looking for. Any advice here?