Put together but won't turn on

Zanthlet

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Everything seems to be fine with he assembly. But or some reason. Nothing on the front panel of the case works.

When I plug the power supply up. The MoBo light comes on. So I am getting power. But as far as the power button on the case. Nothing seems to work.

Only confusing part for assembly. Was the Power LED front panel wire. Had three pin slots(JFP1). But the manuel for the MoBo shows that it should only have two. So it left me with no room to plug in the Power Switch next to it, only 4 pins on that side. There was another (JFP2) that had three pins for a Power LED,Suspend LED, ground. Since there was no other front panel wire for it. I figured would be ok to plug into and use.

So even if I did change it back to the other setup. The Power LED would just have to be left out to plug in the power switch.

MoBo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574
Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121096

Zanthlet

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Just switched the Power LED to where it is supposed to be. The light came right on on the front panel. But still no where left to plug in the Power Switch. With just one pin left out of the four.

Zanthlet

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Won't lie to you. I don't know much of what you are talking about. I am fairly new to doing this. Never had a problem past regular assembly.

Zanthlet

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
What I don't understand the most. Is if I left the LED light off. Just added the Power Switch to where it says it is supposed to be placed. Why wouldn't it come on without the light on. Makes me wonder if the Power Switch is just busted.

Everyone has to start somewhere, don't worry about it. Look on your mobo, you should see the JFP1 pin assignments. Notice that the two PWR_SW pins have a "+" and a "_". This is the polarity assignment. If the power button switch is connected to the mobo, but pressing the button has no effect, remove the power button connector from the mobo, and reverse its orientation.

If that still doesn't help, then try using a flathead screwdriver (or similar tool) to jump the PWR_SW pins on the mobo. If the system turns on, then you could have something wrong with the button switch.

Zanthlet

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Have already tried switching it around. With no success.

Just tried what I assumed you meant. Used a flathead screwdriver. Placed it on both pins. Tried pushing the power button. With nothing happening.

Good, thank you for clarifying, as those were my next questions. This now leads me to believe that either the PSU isn't sending power to the mobo, or the mobo is bad.

Before requesting an RMA for the mobo, try doing a breadboard.

1. Remove all connections to the mobo, except for heatsink and CPU (all wires, cables, parts).
2. Remove mobo from the case, and then place it on a non-conductive surface.
3. Reconnect the P1 and the P4 connectors from the PSU (these are the 24-pin and 4/8-pin CPU plugs) - Remove the PSU from the case if need be.
4. Install just one stick of RAM.
5. Install the GPU and the auxillary plug for it. Also, connect the monitor to the GPU.
6. Jump the PWR_SW pins.