Difference of performance between 1 70 Ghz processor to 2 40 Ghz processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

banisamier1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Well I am having windows XP sp2 loaded on my computer . Previously I was having 2.40 Ghz processor working with it. Now I am having 1.70 Ghz processor installed in it. Please tell me, as to what difference will it make, on the overall performance of my pc ?
With best regards,
Samier bani.

Solution
probably not a great deal of difference--but the extra memory that was added certainly was a good idea it may make more of an improvement

banisamier1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Well I had Pentium 4 R with 704 MB of RAM. But the problem was, that while working on it, the system suddenly used to crash due to overheating. That now an expert has changed the processor to 1.70 Ghz instead of 2.40 Ghz and the RAM has been increased to 1 GB . Please tell me, what difference will it have in performance of the system?

banisamier1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Well I had Pentium 4 R with 704 MB of RAM. But the problem was, that while working on it, the system suddenly used to crash due to overheating. That now an expert has changed the processor to 1.70 Ghz instead of 2.40 Ghz and the RAM has been increased to 1 GB . Please tell me, what difference will it have in performance of the system? I shell be grateful to you.

UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Generally speaking, the higher the clock rate, the faster the CPU...at least this applies to CPU's in the same family/architecture. Comparing two CPU's with different architecture based on clock rate is foolish, and typically doesn't mean anything. But, if you got a CPU from the same family (example, core2 duos, although I believe those are clocked much higher out of the box), then sorry to say, you will probably notice a performance increase, unless you only use the computer for everyday stuff, like internet, word processing, maybe watching the occasional movie, then you will very rarely, if ever, notice slower performance. Usually the only time it becomes noticeable is when the system is under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.