Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPu & motherboard getting hot

Last response: in Components
August 8, 2011 6:09:36 PM

Hi,

My system is a 2 year old intel e8400 3ghz not overclocked.Worked well for the past 2 years. Now its getting hot.

cpu idle around 46.c and full load goes to 80.c within minutes.
Motherboard idle 65.c and full load goes to 80.c.

Using the stock intel heatsink came with my processor. Cleaned my whole pc and changed thermal paste several times, no use. I have removed the gpu and tried, same result.

Need to know whether the problem is with the motherboard or heatsink. Please suggest some solution.

Thanks,
Senthil

More about : cpu motherboard hot

August 8, 2011 9:52:34 PM

What program are you using to check temperatures? It seems weird to me to see a motherboard have a higher idle temperature than the CPU.
m
l
August 8, 2011 11:23:01 PM

If this isn't the program your using then you should try this product out http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. Its free and gives lots of information on components in you system. I've found it to be extremely accurate. Some programs do not show the accurate temps.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2011 12:00:50 AM

If it were my system, and I had cleaned out the dust and re-seated the cooler (correctly) and the case and cooler fans were spinning, I'd do the following:

1) Use CPUID's hardware Monitor as suggested above to check whether the problem is real (though I expect it will show you directionally the same heat buildup), and

2) Disable/remove any program that could conceivably change BIOS from within Windows, clear CMOS, reset BIOS to (optimized) defaults, and see if the problem goes away.

I also would have run the PC on its side with the cover removed. If the PC runs cooler, the problem may be heat is still getting trapped inside the case despite your cleaning efforts.
m
l
August 9, 2011 10:47:04 AM

I have used HWmonitor, speedfan and checked in the BIOS, all are displaying the same temperature. My minimum motherboard temperature is around 66.c in BIOS.
m
l
August 9, 2011 10:52:40 AM

I tried running with side cover open and i have changed the cpu fan setting in BIOS to run it in maximum speed all the time, it reduced the cpu temp. to 2.c. But no difference in motherboard or system temp.

My Cpu fan runs max speed at 3000 RPM only, may be its gone?
m
l
August 9, 2011 12:16:57 PM

Thank you for all your replies. Could you please suggest me some more.
m
l

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 83 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 9, 2011 1:15:33 PM

Could be motherboard, but I would still lean towards heatsink.

My recommendation, buy a Hyper212+ heatsink, it will fit your S775 motherboard and if it is the motherboard that has gone faulty and your forced to upgrade, you can use it on all current AMD/Intel motherboards so no money lost.
August 9, 2011 5:10:39 PM

das_stig said:
Could be motherboard, but I would still lean towards heatsink.

My recommendation, buy a Hyper212+ heatsink, it will fit your S775 motherboard and if it is the motherboard that has gone faulty and your forced to upgrade, you can use it on all current AMD/Intel motherboards so no money lost.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do that and post back.
m
l
August 9, 2011 5:13:47 PM

Best answer selected by sents2011.
m
l
!