How to check and update bios on rampage iv extreme - x79 build

associated

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
hey everyone!
first build so i am just looking for some advise to help clear any first timers fog ;)
ok so i have just recently installed a rampage iv extreme mobo with i7 3820 processor. i know that bios flashing may be needed depending on the current bios version of the mobo for it to support the i7 3820. ive checked the # and this particular board is on revision 1.02. what bios # is this? i know the current bios for this motherboard is #1305 (2012.04.18). however, i havnt been able to find a bios that represents 1002. i am still learning so i am eager to find out the correct bios for my board so i can update if necessary.

any extra suggestions are welcomed.

thanks for the tips! Very much appreciated!

Often there's a small sticky on the MOBO (backside) or the Box itself indicating the BIOS version. Most R4E in inventory are either BIOS 1005 or 1101 and most of the shipping i7-3820's require BIOS 1101 to post.

I'm not aware there was ever a BIOS (1002), but there was a version 1005.

If your PC can post into the BIOS then use ASUS EZ Flash 2, it's found under the 'Tools' menu. You'll need a FAT32 Flash Drive with no partitions, unzip the BIOS (.ROM) file and just in case rename = R4E.ROM then copy to the Flash Drive. Connect the Flash Drive to any of the BLACK USB 2.0 ports and boot into the BIOS pressing the Delete key, press F5 to Load Defaults and (click on the 'Shortcut' bottom left) then get to the Tools menu, click on the ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility, click on the R4E.ROM and follow the prompts. Typically it take 1-2 minutes if that.

More info on ASUS EZ Flash 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash

--

IF you cannot post or boot to the BIOS then use USB BIOS Flashback, the file is already to be used as described above. In this process you can ONLY use the WHITE USB 2.0 port, press and hold the ROG Connect button for a few seconds until it starts to blink and once it stop 'flashing' you're read. Typically it take 2-4 minutes if that.

For more information - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

associated

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

thank you for your fast reply jaquith! thank you for helping clear this issue up for me.

OK, so i am about 99% sure that i will need to flash the bios. i noted on a sticker that #0803 was mentioned (next to the bios switch). thus i have downloaded downloaded the latest bios . i have downloaded bios 1305 and unzipped it ( right click then extracted) i have also renamed the bios to R4E.ROM . i have also formatted a USB to Fat32.

i currently have everything connected to the motherboard aside from the gpu as i haven't got it yet...
know i understand that i will need to put standby power on in order to flash the bios. so just to clarify, plug the PSU into the wall and turn it on is the definition of standby? also i have a brand new USB stick, so no partitions should be present.
otherwise i should be good to go.
is there anything else i should know about before i go ahead and flash the bios?
thankyou for all of your help :)

Wadeb

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Ok so i know this is a stupid question.. and i didn't want to start a new thread when i could just ask here.. sorry if that is wrong to do so :S S

My question is that i just got my RIVE and am unsure if when updating the bios do you have to update with all the previous versions, such as install 1005 then 1101 then 1202 ect to the latest 1404 or can i just go straight to 1404 and not have to worry about the otherones? i just don't want to install the latest one and then realise i have to install them all in order.. :S

sorry if that is massively stupid question to ask.. :(

Specific to your R4E no you can update the BIOS to the latest version (1404) edit/directly. Some BIOS have oddball prerequisites of drivers so it's a good idea to read the BIOS revision notes.

Only use ASUS EZ Flash 2 or USB BIOS Flashback to update the BIOS and NEVER from the OS!

Wadeb

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
OK cool, thanks so much for the reply jaquith. With regards to that, will i get all the updates from the previous updates if going straight to the 1404 update? and thanks once again.. didn't want to do anything until i asked first..

ASUS EZ Flash 2 or USB BIOS Flashback - period.

Load Defaults (F5) before updating the BIOS for an even safer upgrade.

Good Luck! :sol: