Wireless Network Set-up Problem

timclyma

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
Hi.

I just can't set-up my wireless home network - there is a problem with the "Connection Status".

I am running Windows XP SP2 on an ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard (with embedded WiFi-g WLAN adapter).

I have installed the necessary drivers and utilities: this seems to have gone OK.

[I am trying to use the WiFi-g as a Software Access Point].

The WLAN card is recognised in the Device Manager, and no apparent conflicts exist.

>>>BUT - under Network Connections, the WLAN icon shows a problem does exist (yellow triangle with exclamation mark), and the words "limited or no connectivity".

Under "More Information" is stated "This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer".

Repairing the connection does not fix things: the problem persists.

So, what is going wrong and how do I resolve the problem?

Advice much appreciated as always.

Regards,

Tim Clyma.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
nm, gotta not read so fast. just saw ur "I am trying to use the WiFi-g as a Software Access Point"

Its been a while since I last setup a comp as an accesspoint. I'll post as soon as I remember something about it, lol :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Folken on 01/19/05 04:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

barrada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Wireless networks are very dificult to set up - there are so many things that can go wrong. How far away are the two PC's apart? Although wireless components are advertised as having connectivity over 1500 Mtrs our experience is that it will drop to 60 - 80 feet once you install them in an office or home and put walls in between. Have you set the wireless type to ad-hoc or infrastructure? Have you checked the channels are set to the same channel? Are you networking more than 2 PC's? Have you set the SSID and is it the same on both? If you think we can help you visit www.barrada.co.uk for our contact details. If you don't get us leave a message for us.

Paul

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
You don't setup PC's as AP's. Well, there is linux software that will emulate this and perhaps there is not windows software that can mimic an AP but for PC to PC you run the card in Ad Hoc. A peer to peer WLAN vs an AP/Client infrastructure. So, setup your card in Ad Hoc. You'll need to setup the IP data yourself unless your running something like ICS on a box to share your internet connection. That box will act as a DHCP server, handing out IP's.

Oh, and it's relative I suppose, but WLAN's are easy to setup. For someone not experienced you just have to read the manual and have reliastic expectations. Ignoring the advertised distance specs also may help if that is your expectation for distance.

barrada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Don't agree wireless networks are easy to set up - obviously thats not the experience of timclyma!!! Sometimes they work no probs but often they don't which is what you'll find if you do a search for the number of people looking for help.

www.barrada.co.uk

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
As I mentioned, it's relative. It's easy for me however I will say I have setup several hundred of them. Not to mention, your dificult and mine may be completely different things. If your competant it is a fairly easy job.

barrada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Guess when we don't have your experience of several hundred its not so easy for us then. timclyma - if you think I can be of help contact me.

www.barrada.co.uk

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Nah, it's easy for most people. Most solutions are plug the ap in and load the driver on the card. The only thing that might be considered marginally dificult is setting up security. Then if your wireless environment isn't good then some experience can help but as far as the difficulty of setting up the WLAN initially, it's just easy.

ataridex

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
if you wanna share internet using your g-card as software AP,make sure ics is enabled, set the g-card on ad-hoc mode, use a static IP on that pc and you should be good to go...

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Ad Hoc does not make a Host ICS PC an AP however what you suggest will work. Don't have to set any static IP's though.

timclyma

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
Thanks for the support barrada. I'm still in a fix with this WLAN.

[Have made some progress though: there is now a connection between my PC and laptop].

I have installed the driver and utilities as recommended for the ASUS WiFi-g in SoftAP mode. This seems to have gone OK.

I have a connection between the two computers and the signal strength is “excellent”.

But, this is as far as I can get.

I can’t “see” one computer from the other and cannot transfer files between.

The ASUS WLAN Card Settings “Event Log” shows: “The received data frame decrypt failure”.

Also, I can’t configure a shared internet connection!

What do you recommend to help me to move forward?

Regards.

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
try disconecting the XP firewall, it always hangs up my file transfers....it worked for me then you can re-establish the firewall with the proper access.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

f33l

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Does anybody know how to make this mobo's wifi support wpa2 ?? i mean it only supports wep.. and thats trully annoying for a "DELUXE" model i paid sweet money for

Wow, talk about waking an old thread! :)

Are you using the latest mobo BIOS update and drivers?

If the mobo doesn't support WPA2, then you're pretty much stuck. Given the age of the mobo, it’s clear WPA2 just wasn’t available. Many manufacturers quickly abandon BIOS/driver updates as the hardware ages, leaving their customers in the cold (happens all the time, just the way the business works).

Frankly, given how inexpensive wireless adapters are these days (I see wireless G adapters for $10-15 quite regularly, heck, I’ve gotten several for as little as $5 or even free after rebate), I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of pursuing it further. I tend to change up my system after 3-4 years anyway. I find the technology changes at that point are significant enough to warrant it. You might be due for a change up as well.

f33l

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

1) i do have a usb wifi adapter but i wanted to use the ONBOARD as i said..
2)i was ontopic
3) "Many manufacturers quickly abandon BIOS/driver updates as the hardware ages, leaving their customers in the cold " creative has done the same with their platinum 5.1 sound card that used to cost a ton of money and doesnt support win xp on it.. they even tried to sue a guy that modded their drivers for xp.. talking about interests..
that doesnt mean its right..