Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Boot from a USB in Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 12, 2013 5:41:15 PM

Hey guys,

My grandma recently purchased a laptop and it came with Windows 8 installed on it already. Personally i think its more difficult to use for my grandparents lol. I have windows 7 on a usb drive, and im trying to make it so the laptop boots off of the USB drive. The only problem is i am having an extremely hard time figuring out how to go about it. I tried searching but failed, any help ASAP would be awesome!!

Thanks,
Drew

More about : boot usb windows

a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2013 5:45:55 PM

There should be a key to push(Dell's are F12) to get boot option list,that allows you to select a boot option - and then you can select boot to usb. You may also have to allow boot to USB in bios.
Score
January 12, 2013 5:51:17 PM

yea i figured out how to get to the UEFI firmware settings and i went to the BOOT tab and it has a list of the selections...it has 8 selections. There are 3 different USB selections to choose from, USB FDD:, USB HDD:, and USB CDROM:. I tried moving each to the number 1 spot but nothing seems to change
Score
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2013 5:59:49 PM

Some of them have a select boot device while posting. many user F8 for that.

I have used USB Win7 with the option USB hard drive(strangely enough).

You may have to change the order so that 1st device is the flash drive then once done swap it back.
Score
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2013 6:19:55 PM

When you get those options, does it display the drive's size?
Also inside the bios, or the uefi, you might have to go in and make sure that your specific USB thumbdrive is bootable; some bios' are very granular like that, let you let select which one's you want to be able to display as a bootable device.
Score
January 12, 2013 6:31:16 PM

it does not show the sizes, and i just made the usb drive bootable so idk what im missing or doing wrong
Score
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2013 6:39:39 PM

Do you have a DVD disk for this? Sometimes it is not really worth the pain in going to all of that work just create a faster installation, when one just spent 20-30 minutes hunting down tools and then making the usb bootable.
Score
January 12, 2013 6:44:23 PM

nope i get windows 7 from my school which is an online download. I just reinstalled windows 7 on my desktop easily, i just dont know how to boot off the usb drive using windows 8, dang..
Score
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2013 7:05:10 PM

what make and specific model (usually on a tag on the bottom of the laptop, and not the series model number listed on the top of the laptop; sometimess it is correct though, but not usually) is the laptop?
Score
April 15, 2013 11:45:50 PM

Thats because you first have to go into the actual bios settings and change the bootloader from UEFI to legacy and then make sure the external drive is first on the boot sequence.
Score
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2013 12:11:45 PM

grundlestilskn said:
nope i get windows 7 from my school which is an online download. I just reinstalled windows 7 on my desktop easily, i just dont know how to boot off the usb drive using windows 8, dang..

Please check your licensing requirements. This sounds like a licensing violation.

Also, booting off a USB key is likely to lead to a very slow-running system. Are you planning on installing win7 on that system from the USB key, or just using the USB key as the boot drive for normal operation?

Score
April 18, 2013 8:43:22 AM

Install Universal USB Installer and follow the instruction that will do
Score
July 2, 2013 9:49:49 PM

WyomingKnott said:
grundlestilskn said:

Please check your licensing requirements. This sounds like a licensing violation.

Also, booting off a USB key is likely to lead to a very slow-running system. Are you planning on installing win7 on that system from the USB key, or just using the USB key as the boot drive for normal operation?

How about you stop playing Internet cop and help the guy/girl out. And if you pay attention to the thread, you can easily figure out that they are trying to install off the usb device.
Score
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2013 11:32:47 PM

How about noting the age of the post you're responding to and the status of the poster? Moderators aren't "internet cops" but are entitled to make comments within the Rules of Tom's like anyone else. Using a Windows 7 OS which has probably been used elsewhere is at least, questionable and WyomingKnott was quite right to point it out.

Considering this is your first post under this name, it doesn't look good for your Tom's Hardware future, Twizatch!
Score
!