Nikon CP8800

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 24, 2005 5:13:16 PM

Would any users of the Nikon Coolpix 8800 comment on their likes, dislikes
of this camera? I have read the reviews, but would appreciate comments of
actual experience. Thanks.

More about : nikon cp8800

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 5:13:17 PM

Bought it in early December. Nikon External flash. 3200 pictures of
basketball games. Here are the keepers.
http://imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:25:44 AM

I got mine last month.

I don't know the camera yet - it takes quite a while to learn.

I very much like the image quality. The 8mp sensor combined with the 10X
zoom really gives a lot of picture to work with compared to any other
digital I have had - it seems close to my experience with film.

Combine the large sensor, 10X zoom AND the image stableization, and it gets
pretty remarkable.

However there is a lot of discussion about the low light limitations.
Especially this affects the ability to focus, which is dependent on good
contrast in the focussing area. I have to say on the focussing score that
my old Olympus UZ2100 was a hell of a lot better... but maybe I can learn to
use the 8800 better. F5.8 at full zoom.

I have taken low light pictures with exposure times of several seconds on a
tripod, and I am really impressed with the results. Lights do not flare,
the noise seems more like film grain than pizelization, which I like a lot.

To me the colours seem warm, just enough to look pleasant, but not too much.

The camera is easy to hold, and light enough to carry easily.

You have to be carefull with the lens zoomed out - some owners have reported
jamming the lens with a simple knock while it is extended. Here again, the
2100 seemed very robust, and I was never worried with it.

I would have preferred four AA cells, but the rechargeable lithium, although
expensive (I have two), lasts a long time, and recharges pretty quickly,
maybe 2 hours. The battery is smalleer than 4 AAs and quicker and easier to
change.

I think the menu system is overly cumbersome, but here again, if you like
the camera enough to learn it well, you will learn the menu system too. I
haven't yet, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. There are attempts to
make it user friendly, like haveing two stored sets of settings, and a
function button that can be devoted to one function for easy access to it.

There is a 'quick' button for easy viewing of your shots. Also easy to zoom
in on the shot up to 10X.

I find the zoom toggle a little difficult even after using the camera quite
a bit. Again, I prefer the Oly 2100 setup. Too bad the Oly is only 2 mp -
it really is a terrific camera.

Nikon is coming up with plug-ins for its Picture Project software, which
originally was short on features, but the new plug-ins give remote control
(from a computer) capability, and more editing features. It will be
available mid-March.

So, my conclusion is that the bare bones of the camera is excellent: great
picture quality, and lots of in-camera cropping, (by way of zoom and high
resolution), so you can really frame the picture you want and expect
terrific results - and after all, this is what a camera is all about.
However, it's a hard camera, so far, to totally love. There are quite a few
irritants to do with, (especially), focussing, the macro/normal/infinity
button which option never seems to be the one you want, the fairly rough and
unresponsive zoom, the 'command wheel' which lacks anything approaching a
positive feel (it seems to click a few times before any response, and all of
a sudden you have more response than you wanted), the complex menu system,
etc. etc.
I WANT to like this camera, and I am convinced I will if I persevere, but it
doesn't make it any too easy for me.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

!