Sign in with
Your question

Agp will not fit my gateway

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2011 1:52:44 PM

Hello,
My matrox marvel g450 agp card (2001) will not fit my gateway (2005) agp slot. the card is about 1/8" too long for the slot. anyone else have this issue? it would fit if i removed some of the bracket but i really don't want to do this. is this a compatability issue or just a gateway screw up? the agp slot is set 1 3/4" from the bracket opening.

More about : agp fit gateway

March 5, 2011 2:36:46 PM

a pic would be nice...
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:55:48 PM

I've read from another thread that gateway uses a low profile agp. Is this my problem? Another 1/8" or so and it would fit! Don't want to send it back but it looks that way unless I start to Frankenstein the bracket. If it does require a low profile I'll agree with the other thread in saying that Gateway does indeed sucketh.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2011 3:07:23 PM

low profile means that the card and the back bracket are like half the normal width. If it's just 1/8'' it sounds more like some sort of missalignment of the mobo in the case or some other small variation. Or you are just doing it wrong :p 

edit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...
thats a low profile pcie card, notice the shorter bracket as well on the side
m
l
March 5, 2011 4:01:23 PM

Thanks for replying. So no, it's not low profile, it would be standard. It just doesn't seem to fit. I couldn't move the board that would throw everything else off it seems. The card is resting right on the bracket, there's no more room to go. I measured with a tape measure this time and to fit comfortably in the slot it would require at least 3/8" more room to fit properly.
m
l
March 15, 2011 12:51:18 AM

Hi,

So I got it in very tight fit, bowed out the back a little. Will require a screw to keep it in.

Thanks Kari!
m
l
March 15, 2011 1:09:44 PM

You're talking about the length of the card, not the AGP slot. The card and cases/motherboard layouts do not always fit. You want a screw in the card anyway to hold in the bracket. ALL AGP/PCI/PCIe slots and cards are an exact match for their standards, that does not mean that the board sizes are made to fit in all cases.
m
l
!