vans11

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hi

I previously posted this question but I fear it will be unanswered or in unsolvable so I shall ask a different question:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/310929-15-dual-screen-onboard-graphics-asus-radeon-5670

I want to run two monitors, I have an ATi Radeon EAHD5670 1GB card,
Currently I only have monitors with VGA inputs.

Two Questions:
1. If I get a DVI to VGA converter can I plug two monitors into the graphics card? (it has HDMI, VGA & DVI outputs)
2. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-H55M-D2H with Ati Crossfire Support and 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16 and 1 PCI-E x16 running at x4. Can I plug another graphics card in that slot to achieve dual monitors and what would a good choice of graphics card be? [I use Microsoft Flight Sim alot but not bothered about multiple monitors for that yet] My budget is around the £100 mark (US$160).

Complete Specs:
CPU: i3 540
GPU: Asus Ati Radeon HD5670
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB etc...
RAM: Corsair XMS3 TWINX 4GB DDR3
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H55M-D2H

Thanks in advance!

vans11

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Alas there was not one included. I guess it's already got 1 vga port so why would they need to provide an adapter :(

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
yes you can do up to three monitors on this Video card, i have one, its the VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 5670, no it does not come with any adaptors, the monitors i have (only 2 at the moment) one is a tv thing with a D-Sub connector and my newer one has either D-Sub or DVI, the video card supports Dual Link DVI so you can get a DVI splitter and hook two DVI devices to it. i'll probably just get an HDMI to DVI cable down the road for another DVI monitor.

vans11

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Got the DVI-I M to VGA F converter and it works.

I was having a few problems with flickering during maximising/minimising windows, when using aero for snap and when watching videos on vlc on whatever was my "extended desktop". I looked at the CCC overclock tab and manually set the fan speed to 100% (the temp was only 41C) and for some reason it is stable now.

I have no idea why it became stable but it did and I'm happy.

Thanks for your help everyone.

You'll only hear from me again if the instability returns and I come back crying! *fingers crossed*

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
just to ask for added clarity, which 5670 did you get? did they switch the 1gb fan to the same as the 2gb fan? if so i recommend upgrading to an aftermarket fan asap

also, one thing i have noticed about this card in either version, is they don't take care to heatsink the ram, grabbing an aftermarket cooler usually has little sticker style ram sinks to cool them off, and they work too, well from the one i got for a friend (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118006) just be careful when removing the old one, and don't use a lot of thermal paste, the chip is tiny compared to the CPU