Help me decide which build I should go for

RuneDunes

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I'm planning on making a new PC build for the first time this summer around June-July... I planned on doing it last year.. but I layed it off and I'm currently outdated in my knowledge of new parts. I have 2 plans, a AMD build and Intel build, which for now I have decided already completed my AMD build, but it's not really the best. My BUDGET is $900
My AMD build -

It totals at 660$
As you will see some items are missing from it, I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and GPU. The GPU is a GTS 250, which I will plan on upgrading, but I want to continue using it for a year or 2. I purposely chose a large powersupply, for future proof for overclocking and a better GPU. Please help me improve this build in anyways.

As for my Intel build, it will be a Sandy Bridge build, maybe 2500k.

My 600$ build is an SB build. Just change the CPU to the i5 2500K (add 100$) and change the motherboard to the Gigabyte D3 (+30) which should bring you to around $730. Just add windows and you sit below your budget. The PSU doesn't need to be that huge for a single card system. Even if you OC the 2500K you don't need a 600w.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

His budget is $900...it's pretty obvious he's not going to spend 85% of it on a GPU. Even a 6970 or 580 is doable on a 500 watt unit.

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

I know he said in a year or two he might upgrade the GPU but do you think he is going to spend $600 to $100 (current money) for dual GPUs on a $100 mobo? Nevermind I think his high OCing ability on the $100 Mobo is going to be some what comprimised
Talk about trolling

$600-$100? You mean $600-$1000?. You really think a GTX590 or 6990 is going to $600-1000 in 2 years?? They are only $700 today. LOL

You don't know what he's going to buy, your purely speculating. HE said he wanted a larger psu for upgrade, why are you arguing with him about what HE wants?

Secondly, overclocking on a $100 board is not going to be any different than a $300 board. I've done a 100% overclock on a $70 board.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
congratulations GeekApproved, you found an error in something AznShinobi said. He should have said that the OP could run ALMOST any single gpu setup and overclock with a 600w psu. As usual, your input is invaluable. Im sure the OP will thank you two years from now when he decides to upgrade his GTS 250 to an HD6990.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I've read threads where you've given solid advice and some where you haven't. Don't call the kettle black.

You can run any single-gpu card and overclock on a 600w PSU. How do you know this isn't what he meant? If that's what you were trying to point out, there are ways to say this with more tact.

There is a difference in overclocking between $100 and $300 boards. My P67 LE doesn't allow for voltage changes in the bios and the OS overclocking is a joke at best. What about power phases? Or the quality of the components on the board itself?

Moving on....

OP: Do you want us to list a Sandy Bridge build for you for $900?

He didn't say single gpu card. He said any single card, which includes dual gpu cards.

Glad you corrected his mistake, now it makes some sense.

You don't need to make voltage changes to SB to get good overclocks. Your running 4.4ghz on yours without voltage change right?

Besides, I've not seen a P67 that won't allow voltage changes. Sorry you got one. Maybe you should have researched it a bit before buying it.

Like I said, I've done 100% overclocks on $70 boards. Not many people can even get a 100% overclock, on any board on air.

That $70 board I sold after I had it for 3yrs and it worked perfectly.

Power phases? Quality? Well the board had a 3yr warranty, I knew I'd upgrade before the warranty is up anyways, so power phases were irrelevent to me. Not to mention, when I bought it, I really didn't have any intention of overclocking it. It was the 3rd fastest cpu out at the time.

Genghis, yes he will thank me in 2 years when he doesn't have to buy a new psu.

If you don't like my advice, don't read it. Let the OP pick and choose what advice he want's to follow.

Your assuming I care what you think about me. I don't. It's a public forum.

Moving on.

OP definitely go for the 2500K, no doubt.

-_- Your overclocks aren't always just because of the motherboard. The quality of the CPU also has an effect on the overclock. Some 2500K's on the same board would only overclock to 4.6, some to 5ghz+. I'd say anything above 4.6ghz is a plus not a given. Not all CPU's are made to the same grade, there are inconsistencies.

Sorry if your that nit-picky GeekApproved, your opinion/corrections are valid, you don't have to be a douche about it. Just correct me and say "Single-GPU card" instead of being a ass about it. Sorry if that was to harsh, just getting the point across.

RuneDunes

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Well looking at all these posts, none of them really comments on my build, well first, I have no decisions on getting a new GPU just yet. I chose a 750w PSU, so I can overclock add a couple more HDD's, and some fans, and of course, a more powerful GPU much later.

EDIT: if its neccesary I will change it to a 650w PSU.

^ That is because an AMD system now is a mistake when you can afford a 2500K build. Then just add 100$ bucks to the 5850 budget, that'd get you a 6950 2GB or 560 Ti which is good enough for any resolution aside from 2560x1080 or above 1920x1080. That'd put you at 830$, just add 50$ more and get a 750TX power supply which brings you to $880

hawk66

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

Well the 6990 is beyond his budget at the moment.

hawk66

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Save some money by buying a triple core for say $90. Then unlock the fourth core. With the money you save get 2 x 4 corsair memroy 8 gigs. it's a risk but worked for me. overclocked from 3.0 to 3.4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145340&cm_re=corsair_memory_ddr3-_-20-145-340-_-Product

Stick with western digital hard drives. Caviar Black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136544&cm_re=western_digital_caviar_black-_-22-136-544-_-Product

For dvd drives try the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 asus drive or lite on drive.

I prefer Asus boards. Try this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131668

Power supply is good.

i would suggest a 1 tb drive in addition to the primary. Keep all music and videos and junk on it. devide the drive into three or four drives.

I

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Yeah I ment $1000. And if you read it says current money . How do I know what they will cost in 2 maybe 3 years. The only reason he would need a PSU that large(750 watt can't you read?) was if he went w/ dual cards. Plus I was not arguing with him, my comment was directed at you.

To the OP- We would help more if you could give more info like what is the primary use of the PC if it's gaming then the 2500K is great. If you are going to be video and photo editing with Adobe or similar or a WS then you may want to consider a CPU with HyperThreading. If this is going to be a gamer then you might want to see how you can shuffle $ towards a better GPU. Also by this summer AMD may/should have the Bulldozer out. No idea of costs yet but you do also have abit of time(month or two) to scrape some more $ together.

I'm sure there is more current release date info but I have heard 2nd or 3rd week of June.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Bulldozer-AMD-Llamo-APU-DirectX-11,12346.html