Sign in with
Your question

Need help comparing 2 computers

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2011 7:31:17 AM

Hello,
The first computer has an AMD (955) Phenom II x4 @ 3.2ghz, an ATI 5770 1g graphics card, and an Asus M4N68T Motherboard with 4 Gig's of ddr3 ram.
The Second has an AMD (965) Phenom II x4 at 3.4ghz, Nvidia GTX460 SE 1 gig Graphics card, and a Gigabyte M68M-S2P Motherboard with 4 Gig's ddr2 ram. I searched around on Google a bit and the prossessor and graphics card in the second computer seems to be a little better, but my would the mother board and ddr3 ram in the first make it a better computer?

Additional Details
the first motherboard (the Asus) is a AM3, the second is a AM2 compatible with AM3/AM2+.(Both computers have the AM3 chip)
This is from the Gigabyte website...
"(Note) If you install an AMD AM3/AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s); however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted."

More about : comparing computers

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 7:37:29 AM

Ya, that gigabyte motherboard seems fishy since it's rated at 95W for cpu and the Phenom II x 4 965 is a 125W cpu. The second is technically the better but as you said the processor will be gimped. The first one will at least provide an upgrade path if you want different ram/graphics card/cpu.
May 12, 2011 7:56:21 AM

Sorry it wont let my edit my post, but The first computer I seen in a store here in Germany for a little over 700 Euros. The second is a friends that would sell it to me for 500. I'm thinking I could always take the extra 200 Euros and go buy a new Motherboard and ram.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 8:22:56 AM

Ya, you could do that also but then you'd have to buy another copy of windows 7 too :( 
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 8:28:30 AM

Definitely get computer 2 but buying a new board and RAM would be expensive for a very small upgrade, I would wait a bit and upgrade the Motherboard, CPU and RAM to a sandy Bridge or Bulldozer platform it the future.
May 12, 2011 9:13:04 AM

Ok I think I'm going to go with computer 2 and just save up a little money and buy new motherboard ram and cpu....if it gives me any problems now I always have the extra 200 to buy a mobo and ram now. Thanks for everyones help. One more question though I have heard that the new 6 core cpu's are actually worse than quads for gaming (now) due to games not supporting 6 cores, is this true?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 9:16:19 AM

Yes. Most games don't utilize all your cores generally just 1 or 2. 6 and 8 core processors are designed for transcoding, editing, rendering and other cpu intensive jobs.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 5:23:06 PM

If both were the same price I would take the first. Considering that your friend is selling you the second for 200 euros less I say go with the second but make sure it boots and that the CPU is running at it's rated speed first. While that motherboard is listed as supporting some 125W CPUs, the 965 BE is not one of them.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

If he got it to work good for him, but if the motherboard can't handle the power draw it could die prematurely and take the CPU out with it.
!