Need help with some upgrades

maxaldinger

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
so ive been out of the hardware scene for awhile now but im starting to notice a tinny bit of slowdown on some games. (I like to play everything as smooth as possible on the highest possible settings)

anyway i was thinking about upgrading my computer over the course of the next 3 weeks. maybe spending about 400 dollars a week on hardware

what I own now is as follows

ati HD 5850
intel i-5 750
asrock p55 extreme mobo
4 gigs ddr3 ram
2tb barracuda hd

those are the bassics.

so yeah a little help would be appreciated in telling me what i should upgrade first and what exactly to get. personally i was thinking ram and a new case first since i think thats my biggest bottleneck right now and my case is pretty loud.

links to newegg would be appreciated.

ram first please

maxaldinger

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
oh man... I honestly cant even remember the speed and latency of the ram, I was kinda just wanting to chuck what i have or keep it as back up and get a whole new set of 8 or 12 gigs. as far as the GPU its straight from ATI. when i bought it from newegg it came with a copy of windows so i jumped on it.

I dont like to overclock by the way. I was kind of wondering if there was a new intel or amd cpu that I could replace mine with.

Ok. So the obvious upgrade (to me) is the second matching HD 5850 to run dual GPUs in XFire.

If you can download CPUZ, open it, then tab over to Memory.. the specs should be listed there. Adding 4GB to match @ $40 - $50 is better than 8GB @ $80 - $100.

You CAN go with a new CPU + MB, but your I5-750 is still pretty respectable. You could benefit from a mild overclock, but if you aren't interested in that stick with what you have at the stock speeds. The second HD 5850 will be your biggest upgrade..