Sign in with
Your question

Current PC value? (pondering upgrades)

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2011 3:06:34 PM

I am in the process of figuring out whether to build up from this PC or start a fresh. I am not sure how much I want to spend but it could go either way. I have a few things to sell (including potentially parts or all of this PC) to put towards it and that could have some bearing.

To start with I was wondering if anyone can tell me roughly how much my current setup is worth?

CPU = Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz (new Q4 2008)
Motherboard = P5N E SLI (new Q4 2008)
GPU = Geforce GTX 260 (new Q3 2009)
RAM = 4GB Corsair ddr2 800mhz (new Q4 2008)
PSU = Corsair VX550w (new Q3 2009)
HDD = Seagate 500gb (new Q4 2010)
Case = Thermaltake Soprano (new Q 2008)

a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2011 4:16:55 PM

I feel like you should ask for $500 flat if you're going to sell it.
May 12, 2011 4:24:52 PM

Your video card is closely equivalent to a GTX 460 or 5770 (good mid level gaming card) which go for about $150 today, and as far as gaming goes your CPU should handle similarly to some of the older quad core Phenom II's (920, 940) which are decent for gaming and cost around $100. Looks like a good PSU, and ram (although if adding ram, note that DDR2 is being phased out and costs more than DDR3 these days).
Related resources
May 12, 2011 4:49:52 PM

I forgot to mention I am in the UK. $500 translates to about £307 but as computer components are more expensive in the UK by default would you say it was worth a bit more than £307?

My CPU and GPU does run well chieftexas, I can go max on many of my games but I am struggling with games with loads of mods and scripts and extras running so I am thinking about an upgrade.

I would plan to go DDR3 if I start a fresh and seeing as I can get a 64 bit windows 7 upgrade disc for my vista 32 bit for only £38 I could do that and unlock potentially more ram.

When selling PC's do you find it better to sell in bits or as a whole?
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2011 5:34:57 PM

piece-by-piece I think will be more time consuming and more of a hassle for little monetary benefit. With a system, you may even be able to get more money since there's value in the time it takes to assemble things. You've also got a windows license on there as well, right? Added value.

I'm not sure what the prices are like in the UK, so I don't have the discretion to scale up. But, maybe, if a gtx 260 is $100 new here and it's $122 or something over there, take a bunch of ratios like this and average them, then multiply the $500 by a scaling factor.

But yeah, I think it would be best to just try and sell it as a system.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2011 5:47:09 PM

I sell a fair number of systems on some local sites around here, and $500 is a pretty reasonable number. I find that for newer computers, selling them as a complete unit gets you more money, without as much hassle. For older machines however, you can usually make more by parting them out. Yours is still fairly new, so I'd say listen to morton and sell it whole.

List it for maybe £500, but leave it open to offers...
May 12, 2011 8:35:14 PM

I would take £500 for it right now. I bought the PC second hand (but only 6 months old) for £400 with a monitor, logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and some games. Then I spent £105 on the GTX 260, about £50 (I think) on the PSU and £35 on the HDD. So £500 will be a great return after 2 years of play although I think I was lucky.

What is the best way to sell as a whole? As I know it is all working what is the best way to protect yourself as a seller against someone who may try something (like overclocking), mess it up and then try and say it came damaged?

That probably sounds paranoid but I wasn't delivered what was described when I bought mine (although it was still a great price, the guy said in the listing he was looking for £600) so I am wary.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2011 8:49:37 PM

I'm a huge fan of sites like kijiji, usedeverywhere.com, and other local classifieds. I would avoid ebay and places like that if I were you. I sell my PCs as-is, and let them have a good look and try them out beforehand. I take cash, and when they walk out the door they have a working PC. If something breaks under warranty I usually will help someone RMA it, but other than that, once they pay me, that's the end of it.

I sell used and new computers all the time, and have barely had any problems at all with local sites. Ebay has been the opposite for me... tons of trouble and hassle there.
!