Sign in with
Your question

Branded server or homebuilt high-end system?

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2011 4:40:55 PM

Hi All,

My uncle has a small office which just 2 other employees use. He wants a system which to run his Sage accounting software and would love to have remote-access capabilities. He has asked a company to put in a quote and has got one for a whopping £4000-5500 for hardware and server licenses. (something like 12GB ram and SAS 10k drives and all.)

After talking with my uncle i understood his requirements and for them this is too much. So i went digging down and looked for some branded servers. The only one that gave a good price/performance is a Dell R310 1U server, which came somewhere near £2000.

Now i'm thinking whether to go and build a really good homebuilt setup for £1000 with a good Raid card and WD RE3/4 drives and a good chassis.

Please give you ideas on this.

Thanks
May 12, 2011 5:44:01 PM

Unless you are fairly experienced with RAID and Server OS's, I would probably just stick with buying a server. Unless of course you are having someone else setup all of the software.
May 12, 2011 6:03:17 PM

neonmonkey said:
Unless you are fairly experienced with RAID and Server OS's, I would probably just stick with buying a server. Unless of course you are having someone else setup all of the software.

Thanks. I'm a MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. So windows server o/s's is not a problem, as well as raid setups. Been doing similar setups for over 3 years. It's just this one i'm contemplating on cos this a new country. i.e all the work i did previously was based in Sri Lanka and now i'm based in UK for my studies and want to help my uncle out.
May 12, 2011 6:37:24 PM

And one more thing, any recommendations on what to buy?
These are the specs i'm certain of:
4GB DDR3 RAM
(2/4) x (500GB/1TB) WD RE3/4 Drives in raid 1 or 10

I'm still unsure on which CPU Motherboard to go for. and what good chassis to buy.

Any ideas on this is really great help.

Thanks.
!