New GameBoy coming after DS

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55812

New Game Boy planned says Nintendo

by Kristan Reed

Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
Boy Advance is already in the works, although dropped no clues as to
when it is planning to launch the system.

Speaking at the recent ELSPA Games Summit, Gosen admitted that "new
Game Boy iterations are under review right now, before the first DS is
sold", which follow similar comments made by Nintendo boss Satoru
Iwata around the time of the DS' initial reports in January this year,
who was keen to stress that the DS was more of an experiment in
testing the market reaction to a Dual Screen device than any concerted
attempt to bring out a successor to the GBA.

He pointed out back then that he couldn't predict how well the DS
would go down in the market and that maybe only 10 per cent of its
audience would buy it. He added that a new Game Boy was being devised
in addition to the DS, but Nintendo's release strategy may rest on how
well the DS performs in the market when it releases later this year in
Japan, and early next year in the US and Europe.

If the device underperforms and finds that Sony is eating away market
share with the PSP, the company may well bring the release of its new
Game Boy forward to as early as 2006, but should the DS exceed
expectations, Nintendo may consider making the most of its good
fortune and delay a true sucessor to te GBA to the following year.

A similar situation occurred back in 2000, when the overwhelming
success of the Pokemon franchise and the related boost to Game Boy
Color sales meant Nintendo could hold back the GBA as a result.

Meanwhile, Nintendo of Europe launches a limited edition GBA today -
the Tribal Edition, featuring a Tatoo on the front. What will it think
of next?

"Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
Boy Advance is already in the works:

well duh! Nintendo has been planning and developing the next Gameboy
since right after the GBA came out, if not before its release.
probably as soon as GBA development finished the next one was
underway....
15 answers Last reply
More about gameboy coming
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55812

    Jesus, I'm not made out of money!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a few
    updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out so many
    portables in such quick succession? It's not like they're losing money
    over the GBA. Does anybody know if the DS or the next GB will have
    analog control? I don't see the point in releasing a system that can do
    better-than-N64 3D without analog control.

    --
    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    > Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a
    > few updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out
    > so many portables in such quick succession?

    Competition.

    --

    John Salerno

    We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
    once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    R420 wrote:
    > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55812

    ___
    > New Game Boy planned says Nintendo
    >
    > by Kristan Reed
    >

    > Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
    > Boy Advance is already in the works, although dropped no clues as to
    > when it is planning to launch the system.
    >
    > Speaking at the recent ELSPA Games Summit, Gosen admitted that "new
    > Game Boy iterations are under review right now, before the first DS is
    > sold", which follow similar comments made by Nintendo boss Satoru
    > Iwata around the time of the DS' initial reports in January this year,
    > who was keen to stress that the DS was more of an experiment in
    > testing the market reaction to a Dual Screen device than any concerted
    > attempt to bring out a successor to the GBA.
    >
    > He pointed out back then that he couldn't predict how well the DS
    > would go down in the market and that maybe only 10 per cent of its
    > audience would buy it. He added that a new Game Boy was being devised
    > in addition to the DS, but Nintendo's release strategy may rest on how
    > well the DS performs in the market when it releases later this year in
    > Japan, and early next year in the US and Europe.
    >
    > If the device underperforms and finds that Sony is eating away market
    > share with the PSP, the company may well bring the release of its new
    > Game Boy forward to as early as 2006, but should the DS exceed
    > expectations, Nintendo may consider making the most of its good
    > fortune and delay a true sucessor to te GBA to the following year.
    >
    > A similar situation occurred back in 2000, when the overwhelming
    > success of the Pokemon franchise and the related boost to Game Boy
    > Color sales meant Nintendo could hold back the GBA as a result.
    >
    > Meanwhile, Nintendo of Europe launches a limited edition GBA today -
    > the Tribal Edition, featuring a Tatoo on the front. What will it think
    > of next?

    ___

    > "Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
    > Boy Advance is already in the works:
    >
    > well duh! Nintendo has been planning and developing the next Gameboy
    > since right after the GBA came out, if not before its release.
    > probably as soon as GBA development finished the next one was
    > underway....

    I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a GameBoy?

    --

    John Salerno

    We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
    once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    > > Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a
    > > few updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out
    > > so many portables in such quick succession?
    >
    > Competition.

    What competition?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:27:56 -0400, "John Salerno"
    <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a GameBoy?

    It is a *Gameboy* but not a successor to GBA.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    > I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a GameBoy?

    Yes. haven't you been listening to Nintendo and/or reading the major
    websites?

    the Nintendo DS was officially NOT going to be a replacement for GBA.
    Nintendo has been saying all along that DS is their so called "third
    pillar" meaning a third and seperate machine, to compliment the
    console (GameCube and future GCNext aka Revolution) and GBA.

    DS is the next portable from Nintendo but it is not a successor to
    GBA. the next GameBoy has been in planning/development since 2001 at
    the latest. (the GBA was completed around 1999)

    Nintendo has at least three gaming platforms coming:

    1. DS (Dual Screen aka Developers System aka Nitro)
    2. the next GameBoy
    3. the next console (N5 aka GCNext aka Revolution
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy

    http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=296

    Next Generation Game Boy

    We don't have any specific numbers for the next Game Boy, but we've
    got
    plenty of information nonetheless. Do note, this isn't information
    about the
    DS. The next Game Boy will supposedly launch some time in 2006.

    a.. The working title is "Game Boy Evolution".
    b.. The system will have a flip-top design, similar to the GBA SP.
    c.. Games will come on mini-discs, as opposed to cartridges.
    d.. The graphics will be slightly better than those found on the
    Sega
    Dreamcast.
    e.. Bluetooth wireless networking will be built in.
    f.. The system will feature backwards compatibility, but not in the
    same
    way the GBA plays old Game Boy games. Supposedly there will be a
    device that
    will allow you to download games from their carts into a
    harddrive-like
    element of the new Game Boy. Confusing, yes, but that's all we've
    managed to
    gleam. Speculate as you like.
    g.. The system's screen will be lit, similar to the GBA SP.
    GameCube Next

    no doubt some things will have changed by the time the next GameBoy
    arrives, in 2006 or 2007.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    carlos' casa wrote:
    > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >>> Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a
    >>> few updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out
    >>> so many portables in such quick succession?
    >>
    >> Competition.
    >
    > What competition?

    Sony's thing.

    --

    John Salerno

    We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
    once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    R420 wrote:
    > btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy

    Thanks for all the info. I hadn't been keeping up like I should have, but
    all that stuff helped clear it up. Just one question though, assuming those
    specs are true, wouldn't it be a problem to have a mini-disc spinning around
    in a portable device? I know Walkmans have CDs in them, but couldn't it mess
    up the disc if it is moved to much while active?

    --

    John Salerno

    We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
    once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    > R420 wrote:
    > > btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy
    >
    > Thanks for all the info. I hadn't been keeping up like I should have, but
    > all that stuff helped clear it up. Just one question though, assuming
    those
    > specs are true, wouldn't it be a problem to have a mini-disc spinning
    around
    > in a portable device? I know Walkmans have CDs in them, but couldn't it
    mess
    > up the disc if it is moved to much while active?
    >

    > --
    >
    > John Salerno
    >
    > We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
    > once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

    It doesn't have to access the disk continuosly, only in short bursts to read
    data to internal memory. Even so, there is always error checking on the
    data, so if you sneeze or throw your unit against the wall while it's
    accessing the disc, it'll probably fail reading but it'll try again.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    > carlos' casa wrote:
    > > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Competition.
    > >
    > > What competition?
    >
    > Sony's thing.

    Bah, that's not competition.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    carlos' casa wrote:
    > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> carlos' casa wrote:
    >>> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> What competition?
    >>
    >> Sony's thing.
    >>
    > Bah, that's not competition.

    Ok.

    --

    John Salerno

    We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
    once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:42:32 -0400, "John Salerno"
    <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >R420 wrote:
    >> btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy
    >
    >Thanks for all the info. I hadn't been keeping up like I should have, but
    >all that stuff helped clear it up. Just one question though, assuming those
    >specs are true, wouldn't it be a problem to have a mini-disc spinning around
    >in a portable device? I know Walkmans have CDs in them, but couldn't it mess
    >up the disc if it is moved to much while active?

    ever see a minidisc? or one of sony's UMD's for the PSP?
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: GR:IT, RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT

    radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote in

    >> I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a
    >> GameBoy?
    >

    > Yes. haven't you been listening to Nintendo and/or reading the major
    > websites?

    Who can blame him for not wanting to listen to Nintendo?

    > the Nintendo DS was officially NOT going to be a replacement for GBA.
    > Nintendo has been saying all along that DS is their so called "third
    > pillar" meaning a third and seperate machine, to compliment the
    > console (GameCube and future GCNext aka Revolution) and GBA.

    This strategy is stupid, and I think most people thought it was BS anyway,
    to float the DS out there and see the reaction. The post-E3 reaction has
    been good, and deservedly so. DS is exciting, but DS and another Gameboy
    isn't exciting; it's retarded and will split the market, not create another
    one.

    I bought the Virtual Boy and really liked it though. What do I know.

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Nintendo Video Games