New GameBoy coming after DS

Last response: in Video Games
June 18, 2004 1:18:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55812

New Game Boy planned says Nintendo

by Kristan Reed

Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
Boy Advance is already in the works, although dropped no clues as to
when it is planning to launch the system.

Speaking at the recent ELSPA Games Summit, Gosen admitted that "new
Game Boy iterations are under review right now, before the first DS is
sold", which follow similar comments made by Nintendo boss Satoru
Iwata around the time of the DS' initial reports in January this year,
who was keen to stress that the DS was more of an experiment in
testing the market reaction to a Dual Screen device than any concerted
attempt to bring out a successor to the GBA.

He pointed out back then that he couldn't predict how well the DS
would go down in the market and that maybe only 10 per cent of its
audience would buy it. He added that a new Game Boy was being devised
in addition to the DS, but Nintendo's release strategy may rest on how
well the DS performs in the market when it releases later this year in
Japan, and early next year in the US and Europe.

If the device underperforms and finds that Sony is eating away market
share with the PSP, the company may well bring the release of its new
Game Boy forward to as early as 2006, but should the DS exceed
expectations, Nintendo may consider making the most of its good
fortune and delay a true sucessor to te GBA to the following year.

A similar situation occurred back in 2000, when the overwhelming
success of the Pokemon franchise and the related boost to Game Boy
Color sales meant Nintendo could hold back the GBA as a result.

Meanwhile, Nintendo of Europe launches a limited edition GBA today -
the Tribal Edition, featuring a Tatoo on the front. What will it think
of next?

"Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
Boy Advance is already in the works:

well duh! Nintendo has been planning and developing the next Gameboy
since right after the GBA came out, if not before its release.
probably as soon as GBA development finished the next one was
underway....

More about : gameboy coming

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 8:50:57 PM

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55812

Jesus, I'm not made out of money!
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 10:42:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a few
updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out so many
portables in such quick succession? It's not like they're losing money
over the GBA. Does anybody know if the DS or the next GB will have
analog control? I don't see the point in releasing a system that can do
better-than-N64 3D without analog control.

--
"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

--C.S. Lewis
June 18, 2004 11:56:16 PM

Grand Inquisitor wrote:
> Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a
> few updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out
> so many portables in such quick succession?

Competition.

--

John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 4:27:56 AM

R420 wrote:
> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55812

___
> New Game Boy planned says Nintendo
>
> by Kristan Reed
>

> Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
> Boy Advance is already in the works, although dropped no clues as to
> when it is planning to launch the system.
>
> Speaking at the recent ELSPA Games Summit, Gosen admitted that "new
> Game Boy iterations are under review right now, before the first DS is
> sold", which follow similar comments made by Nintendo boss Satoru
> Iwata around the time of the DS' initial reports in January this year,
> who was keen to stress that the DS was more of an experiment in
> testing the market reaction to a Dual Screen device than any concerted
> attempt to bring out a successor to the GBA.
>
> He pointed out back then that he couldn't predict how well the DS
> would go down in the market and that maybe only 10 per cent of its
> audience would buy it. He added that a new Game Boy was being devised
> in addition to the DS, but Nintendo's release strategy may rest on how
> well the DS performs in the market when it releases later this year in
> Japan, and early next year in the US and Europe.
>
> If the device underperforms and finds that Sony is eating away market
> share with the PSP, the company may well bring the release of its new
> Game Boy forward to as early as 2006, but should the DS exceed
> expectations, Nintendo may consider making the most of its good
> fortune and delay a true sucessor to te GBA to the following year.
>
> A similar situation occurred back in 2000, when the overwhelming
> success of the Pokemon franchise and the related boost to Game Boy
> Color sales meant Nintendo could hold back the GBA as a result.
>
> Meanwhile, Nintendo of Europe launches a limited edition GBA today -
> the Tribal Edition, featuring a Tatoo on the front. What will it think
> of next?

___

> "Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game
> Boy Advance is already in the works:
>
> well duh! Nintendo has been planning and developing the next Gameboy
> since right after the GBA came out, if not before its release.
> probably as soon as GBA development finished the next one was
> underway....

I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a GameBoy?

--

John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 6:44:34 AM

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Grand Inquisitor wrote:
> > Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a
> > few updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out
> > so many portables in such quick succession?
>
> Competition.

What competition?
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 10:54:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:27:56 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a GameBoy?

It is a *Gameboy* but not a successor to GBA.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

> I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a GameBoy?

Yes. haven't you been listening to Nintendo and/or reading the major
websites?

the Nintendo DS was officially NOT going to be a replacement for GBA.
Nintendo has been saying all along that DS is their so called "third
pillar" meaning a third and seperate machine, to compliment the
console (GameCube and future GCNext aka Revolution) and GBA.

DS is the next portable from Nintendo but it is not a successor to
GBA. the next GameBoy has been in planning/development since 2001 at
the latest. (the GBA was completed around 1999)

Nintendo has at least three gaming platforms coming:

1. DS (Dual Screen aka Developers System aka Nitro)
2. the next GameBoy
3. the next console (N5 aka GCNext aka Revolution
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 1:08:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=296

Next Generation Game Boy

We don't have any specific numbers for the next Game Boy, but we've
got
plenty of information nonetheless. Do note, this isn't information
about the
DS. The next Game Boy will supposedly launch some time in 2006.

a.. The working title is "Game Boy Evolution".
b.. The system will have a flip-top design, similar to the GBA SP.
c.. Games will come on mini-discs, as opposed to cartridges.
d.. The graphics will be slightly better than those found on the
Sega
Dreamcast.
e.. Bluetooth wireless networking will be built in.
f.. The system will feature backwards compatibility, but not in the
same
way the GBA plays old Game Boy games. Supposedly there will be a
device that
will allow you to download games from their carts into a
harddrive-like
element of the new Game Boy. Confusing, yes, but that's all we've
managed to
gleam. Speculate as you like.
g.. The system's screen will be lit, similar to the GBA SP.
GameCube Next

no doubt some things will have changed by the time the next GameBoy
arrives, in 2006 or 2007.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:39:52 PM

carlos' casa wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>>> Glaven in a glad bag, they made the original Gameboy (albeit with a
>>> few updates like Pocket and Color) last over a decade, why bring out
>>> so many portables in such quick succession?
>>
>> Competition.
>
> What competition?

Sony's thing.

--

John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:42:32 PM

R420 wrote:
> btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy

Thanks for all the info. I hadn't been keeping up like I should have, but
all that stuff helped clear it up. Just one question though, assuming those
specs are true, wouldn't it be a problem to have a mini-disc spinning around
in a portable device? I know Walkmans have CDs in them, but couldn't it mess
up the disc if it is moved to much while active?

--

John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 9:11:47 PM

> R420 wrote:
> > btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy
>
> Thanks for all the info. I hadn't been keeping up like I should have, but
> all that stuff helped clear it up. Just one question though, assuming
those
> specs are true, wouldn't it be a problem to have a mini-disc spinning
around
> in a portable device? I know Walkmans have CDs in them, but couldn't it
mess
> up the disc if it is moved to much while active?
>

> --
>
> John Salerno
>
> We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
> once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

It doesn't have to access the disk continuosly, only in short bursts to read
data to internal memory. Even so, there is always error checking on the
data, so if you sneeze or throw your unit against the wall while it's
accessing the disc, it'll probably fail reading but it'll try again.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 1:10:49 AM

> carlos' casa wrote:
> > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Competition.
> >
> > What competition?
>
> Sony's thing.

Bah, that's not competition.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 1:10:50 AM

carlos' casa wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> carlos' casa wrote:
>>> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> What competition?
>>
>> Sony's thing.
>>
> Bah, that's not competition.

Ok.

--

John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 1:21:59 AM

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:42:32 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>R420 wrote:
>> btw John, here's some sketchy info on the next GameBoy
>
>Thanks for all the info. I hadn't been keeping up like I should have, but
>all that stuff helped clear it up. Just one question though, assuming those
>specs are true, wouldn't it be a problem to have a mini-disc spinning around
>in a portable device? I know Walkmans have CDs in them, but couldn't it mess
>up the disc if it is moved to much while active?

ever see a minidisc? or one of sony's UMD's for the PSP?
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: GR:IT, RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:p T

radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote in

>> I thought the DS was the next portable? There will be this *and* a
>> GameBoy?
>

> Yes. haven't you been listening to Nintendo and/or reading the major
> websites?

Who can blame him for not wanting to listen to Nintendo?

> the Nintendo DS was officially NOT going to be a replacement for GBA.
> Nintendo has been saying all along that DS is their so called "third
> pillar" meaning a third and seperate machine, to compliment the
> console (GameCube and future GCNext aka Revolution) and GBA.

This strategy is stupid, and I think most people thought it was BS anyway,
to float the DS out there and see the reaction. The post-E3 reaction has
been good, and deservedly so. DS is exciting, but DS and another Gameboy
isn't exciting; it's retarded and will split the market, not create another
one.

I bought the Virtual Boy and really liked it though. What do I know.
!