killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi again Experts.

I bought the Asus Z77-V. No pro, no deluxe, just V. Now I see everyone buying the V-Pro. Why?

As far as I know the pro only has 2 extra USB3.0 slots. Or did I miss something? And I didnt think Id need those....so....

Should i send it back? Did I buy a lemon?

Planning on amild OC and thats about it. Advice please.

And thanks in advance.

This review has a chart of all the Asus P8Z77 series motherboards:

Asus P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard....from HardwareSecrets.com

Compare for yourself. I think the features between the boards is most important.

The only real draw back I see with the "V" is it only has a "8+4" voltage regulator. I don't know much about this thing, but I do know that higher is better. If I get one, I'm gonna get the Pro, 'cause I don't want eSATA, Bluetooth, won't use the MArvell SATA III extra ports, and don't even want WiFi, but do want Crossfire there for if/when I use it.

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for the link man.

Yep, it looks like the only diff is the 2 USB headers and the voltage is 8+4.

Im new at this so what does having this voltage mean?

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Ok, I can find alot on the interweb about how what voltage regulator is but i cant find jack about what it does or more importantly why some mobos have 12+4 or 8+4 or some other whacky configuration. Throw me a bone here!!!!!!
PLEASSSE!!!!

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I accidentally made 2 posts bout same thing, I didnt realise my iphone post had actually worked. It said it didnt. Sorry!!!!

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Asus usually adds the PRO label at the end for motherboard with at least 2 PCI-E @ x8,x8. People usually buy them for Crossfire or SLI capabilities, that is why I got the PRO version.

Do you need or want dual graphics cards?
If yes go for the PRO
If no then your motherboard is fine

Black Thought

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Im confused by your post because you say you are getting the Pro for crossfire but both boards have the same number of pci slots and 2 cards will run at the same bus speeds on both boards. The difference is in the voltage regulator like you mentioned and I believe a few additional usb 3 slots on the Pro.