Sign in with
Your question

Did I screw up?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 25, 2012 7:27:27 PM

Hi again Experts.

I bought the Asus Z77-V. No pro, no deluxe, just V. Now I see everyone buying the V-Pro. Why?

As far as I know the pro only has 2 extra USB3.0 slots. Or did I miss something? And I didnt think Id need those....so....

Should i send it back? Did I buy a lemon?

Planning on amild OC and thats about it. Advice please.

And thanks in advance.

More about : screw

a b V Motherboard
April 25, 2012 7:49:24 PM

This review has a chart of all the Asus P8Z77 series motherboards:

Asus P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard....from HardwareSecrets.com

Compare for yourself. I think the features between the boards is most important.

The only real draw back I see with the "V" is it only has a "8+4" voltage regulator. I don't know much about this thing, but I do know that higher is better. If I get one, I'm gonna get the Pro, 'cause I don't want eSATA, Bluetooth, won't use the MArvell SATA III extra ports, and don't even want WiFi, but do want Crossfire there for if/when I use it.
April 25, 2012 8:00:16 PM

Thanks for the link man.

Yep, it looks like the only diff is the 2 USB headers and the voltage is 8+4.

Im new at this so what does having this voltage mean?
Related resources
April 25, 2012 8:20:26 PM

Ok, I can find alot on the interweb about how what voltage regulator is but i cant find jack about what it does or more importantly why some mobos have 12+4 or 8+4 or some other whacky configuration. Throw me a bone here!!!!!!
PLEASSSE!!!!
April 25, 2012 8:49:03 PM

I accidentally made 2 posts bout same thing, I didnt realise my iphone post had actually worked. It said it didnt. Sorry!!!!
April 25, 2012 9:58:09 PM

ok cheers.
a c 975 V Motherboard
a c 257 Ĉ ASUS
April 25, 2012 11:47:46 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Motherboards & Memory by Area51reopened
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 12:59:27 AM

Asus usually adds the PRO label at the end for motherboard with at least 2 PCI-E @ x8,x8. People usually buy them for Crossfire or SLI capabilities, that is why I got the PRO version.

Do you need or want dual graphics cards?
If yes go for the PRO
If no then your motherboard is fine
April 26, 2012 3:34:25 PM

foscooter said:
This review has a chart of all the Asus P8Z77 series motherboards:

Asus P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard....from HardwareSecrets.com

Compare for yourself. I think the features between the boards is most important.

The only real draw back I see with the "V" is it only has a "8+4" voltage regulator. I don't know much about this thing, but I do know that higher is better. If I get one, I'm gonna get the Pro, 'cause I don't want eSATA, Bluetooth, won't use the MArvell SATA III extra ports, and don't even want WiFi, but do want Crossfire there for if/when I use it.

Im confused by your post because you say you are getting the Pro for crossfire but both boards have the same number of pci slots and 2 cards will run at the same bus speeds on both boards. The difference is in the voltage regulator like you mentioned and I believe a few additional usb 3 slots on the Pro.
!