CPU fan too loud Phenom II X4 955

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCS

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Just finished a build (my first) in a custom-made case using a Phenom II X4 955 BE and the stock heatsink/fan. Temps are 36 at idle and 42 at full load. According to Speedfan and Hardware Monitor, CPU fan is at 2700RPM at idle, but jumps to 5400RPM under load, and it is LOUD. What is my best option to get a little peace and quiet?

1. Pull the heatsink and reinstall using Arctic Silver (used the stock stuff initially).
2. Install a 120mm or 200mm fan to pull hot air out of the case (CPU fan is the only fan right now).
3. Install a new cooler (Thinking about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134.)
4. Something else?

Don't really have a budget, but don't want to spend a fortune. Whatever it takes to get some peace and quiet. Thanks!

Solution
See if you have cool and quiet enabled in the BIOS. You can drop down the CPU voltage in the BIOS if you're not overclocking, many mobos give too much voltage on auto. You can set it manually to 1.2-1.25V.

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I'm actually in a similar situation. I put my build together a couple weeks ago using a 955 and decided to order a new cpu cooler because stock one was way too noisy. I added a basically silent intake fan to bring in some fresh air. My cpu idles slightly higher than yours but thats probably because I did poor job putting the hsf on and its been hot here lately. I'll leave an update after I install the new cooler (xigmatek gaia).

CPU fan is at 2700RPM at idle, but jumps to 5400RPM under load, and it is LOUD. What is my best option to get a little peace and quiet ?

it' s will happen because your Fan set an auto, CPU fan is at 2700RPM at idle, but jumps to 5400RPM under load ... it all Normal :D for an auto , I was annoyed with fan noise and then I replace it with hyper 212 cheap, silent and cool the CPU

SCS

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks, guys. I'm going to tweak the BIOS today and see how that works. If it doesn't help, I'll order the Hyper212. Sounds like that is a definite fix.

SCS

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Just wanted to update in case anyone else is having this problem. This is on an AS Rock 880G mobo. In BIOS, I found a setting under H/W Monitor for CPU Quiet Fan. Switched to ENABLED and after testing settled on these settings:

CPU QUIET FAN
TARGET CPU TEMPERATURE 50ºC
TARGET FAN SPEED LEVEL 4

Fan spins at a quiet 2250 RPM until the CPU temp hits 50ºC. I forced a 95% CPU load and it ramped to 60ºC with fans howling at 6250 but never got any hotter. At 50% CPU usage, it runs around 48ºC with almost no fan noise.

Obviously this wouldn't work if you're maxing out usage, but on a light use machine (like this one) it could save you the cost of a new cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.