Red light flickering when computer is not on

mapmap

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello, i recently turned on my old desktop Computer but before i turned it on i had to switch the power supply button. Immediately when I did that the little led light continuously flickers red but is not turned on. It makes like a high pitch squeak noise.

I would give you detailed specs but Since it does not even turn on this is all I know:

Pentium 4
1.3 Gb Ram
mother board says QDI on it?

I also switch the CMOS battery because I was searching up the problem online, but it did not help.

I just want to mainly use it to fool around so hopefully you will be able to help me fix the problem

mapmap

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
sry i edited the initial post for more detail because i was on my ipod writiing it, and the front light does not flicker, it has been unplugged for around 3-4 months

The first thing to 'try' is to Clear CMOS, typically the 'Jumper' method is best. First unplug the PSU (computer) from the wall for at least 5 minutes. Then do one of the following after watching the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Otherwise if the PC fails to post and boot then chances are if it's an older PC the PSU probably needs to be replaced; no guarantees. It sure could be one of several things, but that requires you to swap out components for known good ones. *IF the PSU is bad then this can damage those 'good' components.*

You can try to breadboard my removing the MOBO from the PC and stripping it down to bare minimum components.

For now lets hope the correct clear CMOS procedure works!