Sign in with
Your question

Wireless/Wired Network Layout/Speef

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2010 7:48:08 PM

My main purpose is to stream from a media server, that reads the media from a NAS, over a wired connection because my 802.11n wireless is not quite stable enough to make it through all 1080p movies being streamed over it without any hitches.

Essentially, this is the layout of the network that I'm hoping will work:

The question: since the NAS and Media Server are both connected to a HUB that is behind the wireless bridge (that connects to the wireless router), would the network be smart enough to have the Media Server communicate with the NAS directly through the HUB/wired connection, or would the communication be done in a slower wireless route where the Media Server would communicate with the NAS through the hub via the Wireless Bridge to the Wireless Router and back to the wireless bridge, the hub and then finally to the NAS?

I hope that makes some sense.

Also, if this won't work, does anyone have any suggestions for doing what I'm attempting to do?

Thanks.
a c 79 F Wireless
August 15, 2010 8:07:49 PM

are you using a Hub or a Switch?

a Hub will devide the network speed by the number of connection; therefore, your network will run at 33% to 50% of the max speed.

A switch will give each connection max speed.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2010 8:20:35 PM

Emerald said:
are you using a Hub or a Switch?

a Hub will devide the network speed by the number of connection; therefore, your network will run at 33% to 50% of the max speed.

A switch will give each connection max speed.

switch, but that isn't exactly what i'm asking. i was asking about the path of communication between the media server and the nas. would it go from the media server to the hub/switch and right back to the nas? or would it go from the media server to the hub/switch to the wireless bridge to the wireless router than back to the wireless bridge, the hub/switch and then to the nas?

i want the former and don't want the latter. just asking if this setup will accomplish that.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 79 F Wireless
August 15, 2010 8:52:51 PM

the signal will take the shortest way of communication from the Media Server through the Hub/Switch to the NAS
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2010 9:01:33 PM

Emerald said:
the signal will take the shortest way of communication from the Media Server through the Hub/Switch to the NAS

perfect. thank you.
m
l
!