Intel 2500k temps too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1123

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I recently purchased a computer pre-built from cyberpowerpc.com and have had it up and going for about a week now. I purchased an aftermarket cpu cooler (noctua NH-D14) and installed it myself. I used the noctua thermal paste that they included with the cooler and applied it with the small rice size method, as i read that it was the best for this cpu. Since then I overclocked to 4.0 ghz without touching the vcore voltage. After that I started watching the temp of my cpu and it idles at 35-38 degrees celcius and while running Intel Burn Test it runs at around 60-66 degrees celcius. Are these temps normal for this cpu? I have read online about people having there 2500k idle in the high 20s and never go past 50 under heavy load. Any help or advice is much appreciated, as I really don't know a whole lot about cpu's. Thanks in advance!

PC specs:
CM HAF X case
gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3 mobo
kingston hyperx ram, 2x4gb at 1600mhz
coolermaster silent pro gold 800w PSU

Solution
The only way those people can idle in the high-20sºC is if they have an extreme amount of airflow and their ambient temps lower than normal.

Plus, their "under heavy load" probably isn't IBT like yours. Hell, I have water cooling, and my peak Prime95 temp is 61ºC. Though I do have to admit that I run more voltage than I recommend to others.
The only way those people can idle in the high-20sºC is if they have an extreme amount of airflow and their ambient temps lower than normal.

Plus, their "under heavy load" probably isn't IBT like yours. Hell, I have water cooling, and my peak Prime95 temp is 61ºC. Though I do have to admit that I run more voltage than I recommend to others.

Solution

Note: The individual core temps given by Core Temp, Real Temp, CPUID Hardware Monitor and other temp programs are read from digital sensors built into each core. This temp is called Tjunction. The TjMax temp is 98ºC. The CPU will attempt to auto-throttle to a lower speed when it hits that temp, to avoid damage.

Tcase is a single temp that basically tells you how hot the CPU's heat spreader is. This is usually around 20ºC lower than the individual core temps.

mike1123

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
my OC is at 4.0 ghz, the voltage is set on auto and it goes up to 1.272 when doing a stress test and sits at 0.996 when idle. thanks for all the speedy replies! it sounds like I was worrying for nothing. in the future I would like to push the OC, maybe up to 4.5, what temp would be considered safe? It sounds like mid 60s is nothing to worry about when under heavy load, but what is the point where it should make me uncomfortable? high 70s? early 80s?

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Yea IMO 135- on is dangerous. And ive seen alot of video's and build's where people OC it to like 4.8 and still have it on a heat sink and fan...Idk the point when to go to LC but hey....most people on here shun me for my name

My recommendations for a happy Sandy Bridge long-term overclock:
1. Keep the peak Prime95 temps below 75ºC
2. Keep the CPU voltage below 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.